Seeing what people have done on my computer

Thanatos

Mar 18, 2014, 12:35:20 PM3/18/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
So I have a win8 pc - is there a convenient way to see what people have been doing on my computer (ie login times, applications opened, files modified)? Obviously for internet I can simply open the browser and check the history, but what if they turned on incognito or deleted browser history?

RBL

Mar 18, 2014, 1:31:16 PM3/18/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com

Install monitoring software ...

On Mar 18, 2014 12:52 PM, "Thanatos" <sli...@gmail.com> wrote:
So I have a win8 pc - is there a convenient way to see what people have been doing on my computer (ie login times, applications opened, files modified)? Obviously for internet I can simply open the browser and check the history, but what if they turned on incognito or deleted browser history?

David Moskowitz

Mar 18, 2014, 2:39:52 PM3/18/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Besides Rich's suggestion, depending on what you want/need, the Windows Event log might have enough information to meet some of your needs. The only way to see everything on a given computer and KNOW it's complete is with monitoring software installed on that computer.  If you set up a proxy server on your network, that can log everything going to/from the Internet and give you much more information about Internet traffic than even logging software.

David

RBL

Mar 18, 2014, 3:06:21 PM3/18/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking Event Monitor is too low level.

I'd look at something like this:

Nothing beats it.

"We've tended to forget that no computer will ever ask a new question." -
Grace Hopper

Rich Levin
Voice: 484-552-4084
Skype: RBLevin
http://www.rblevin.org

David Moskowitz

Mar 18, 2014, 3:25:55 PM3/18/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Event Monitor low level...  depends on what you want to accomplish, it adds no additional load to the system, does catch every event, and has reasonable filtering.  The ideal solution? Maybe, maybe not. ;-)  it works and it's free.  :-))

I haven't tried Spector Pro (or any of the other products on the page). One of the things I worry about with any type of logger is the security of the software. If the monitoring software can be hacked, then that has the potential to expose everything! In general, I'm not a fan of this type of software, though I understand it's place and usefulness (particularly for concerned parents).

I also don't buy into the notion that this (or anything connected to the Internet) is guaranteed hack-proof!  ;-))

RBL

Mar 18, 2014, 3:29:35 PM3/18/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com

I've used them and can vouch for them. They're invisible to the user and don't seem to impact performance at all. And the reports are great.

David Moskowitz

Mar 18, 2014, 4:48:25 PM3/18/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Hey, we've known each other long enough...  I know you wouldn't recommend something unless you had experience with it. So that was never an issue! ;-)

I'm concerned more about the genre than the specific product.