new laptop not connecting to internet automatically

mark

May 11, 2014, 7:41:16 AM5/11/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
I bought a new dell e5530 laptop. It does not automatically connect to my home network. I have to open the available wireless network and type in the password even though it has a check mark in the connect automatically option. All my other laptops connect without a problem.

Rich Levin

May 11, 2014, 8:45:24 PM5/11/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com

Step one: Try removing that connection and re-establishing it.

A library is a good place to go when you feel unhappy, for there, in a book, you may find encouragement and comfort. A library is a good place to go when you feel bewildered or undecided, for there, in a book, you may have your question answered. Books are good company, in sad times and happy times, for books are people -- people who have managed to stay alive by hiding between the covers of a book. - E.B. White

Rich Levin
Voice: 484-321-1133
Skype: RBLevin
http://www.rblevin.org

mark

May 13, 2014, 6:51:37 AM5/13/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure how to do that. When I go to network and internet > manage wireless networks, there aren't any wireless networks listed. When I try to add a network and type in the ssid, type of security, and password, a message box appears saying access denied.

RBL

May 13, 2014, 7:04:28 AM5/13/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com

Sounds like you have the wrong SSID or password.

--
Via Note III. Visit RBLevin.org.

On May 13, 2014 6:51 AM, "'mark' via PC TALK ONLINE" <pc...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I'm not sure how to do that. When I go to network and internet > manage wireless networks, there aren't any wireless networks listed. When I try to add a network and type in the ssid, type of security, and password, a message box appears saying access denied.

RBL

mark

May 13, 2014, 8:17:22 AM5/13/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Maybe I'm not explaining correctly what is happening. After the laptop boots, the wireless icon in the system tray has a triangle over the bars. When I click on it to view available wireless netwoorks, it finds available networks. When I click on the network I want to access and click on the connect box, I then need to input the password even though the connect automatically box is checked. This just started in the last week or so. all works ok until the next boot and I need to input the password again.

RBL

May 13, 2014, 7:27:08 PM5/13/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Have you Googled this and tried any of the common suggestions?

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 8:17 AM, 'mark' via PC TALK ONLINE <pc...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Maybe I'm not explaining correctly what is happening. After the laptop boots, the wireless icon in the system tray has a triangle over the bars. When I click on it to view available wireless netwoorks, it finds available networks. When I click on the network I want to access and click on the connect box, I then need to input the password even though the connect automatically box is checked. This just started in the last week or so. all works ok until the next boot and I need to input the password again.

The best ideas come as jokes. Make your thinking as funny as possible. - David Ogilvy

Rich Levin
Voice: 484-552-4084
Skype: RBLevin
http://www.rblevin.org

mark

May 14, 2014, 9:51:58 AM5/14/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the links. Looks like I didn't have permissions in the profile folder in wlnsvc folder. I "took ownership" and the computer automatically connnects when I start it. Just don't know what would have caused me to lose permissions in that folder.

RBL

May 14, 2014, 2:04:28 PM5/14/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com

Random folder permission changes have happened to me as well. Never figured out what causes it.