Block Workstations USB ports

Jim Alexander

Sep 7, 2014, 9:43:32 AM9/7/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
On a small network with ten W7 workstations running off a Windows 8 Server, we want to block ability of non-Administrator users to use USB sticks. This if for both security protection and to prevent organization data theft via this mechanism. Naturally, we want to allow the USB ports to serve keyboards, mice, printers, and the like.

We have Bit Defender installed on the network from the server, and it has a functionality to block such USB operation on the workstations. We've invoked it, the workstations report back that the order has been received, but all the USB ports remain fully open for sticks. Technician is stumped.There seems little documentation about this feature, which seems almost like an after-thought.

Rather than waste more technician time cost, we're thinking of purchasing a comparable blocker specially for this purpose. There are a number of articles about setting group policy, but it gets a bit fuzzy, so a package to do this would seem desirable.

Looking at various reviews, there are a number of them, many with seeming limitations. One that caught our eye is USB Disabler  http://www.intelliadmin.com/index.php/usb-disabler-pro/ . This would seem to allow attaching legit things like keyboards and even cameras for download, but not  allow flash drive use, and would allow specified exemptions. Cost is around $600 for system license.

Question: is anybody familiar with this product, or can suggest something comparable?

Thanks.

Jim

Jim Alexander

Sep 7, 2014, 10:02:56 AM9/7/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
That should read Windows 2008 server.

RBL

Sep 7, 2014, 10:44:01 AM9/7/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com

In my company when a USB stick is inserted, it is immediately and automatically encrypted in such a way that it will only work on the company PC. Don't know what software they're using for that but I can find out.

--
Via Note III. Visit RBLevin.org.

RBL

Sep 7, 2014, 10:45:21 AM9/7/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com

This seems super easy. Just change the rights on these files.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823732

--
Via Note III. Visit RBLevin.org.

RBL

Sep 7, 2014, 10:51:07 AM9/7/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com

These guys have a good rep:
http://www.solarwinds.com/log-event-manager/usb-security.aspx

If your company has an endpoint manager it will have that capability. For example:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175220

Still, if you can simply change Group Policy to sent access, that's free and can be done tomorrow.