usb to cat5 adapter

t1builder

May 18, 2009, 6:22:53 PM5/18/09
to PC TALK ONLINE
Is there such a thing as a usb to cat5 adapter. I rather not use a usb
to sreial adapter and aserial to cat5 adapter for my netbook. Thanks,

Mark

RBL

May 18, 2009, 8:11:37 PM5/18/09
to PC...@googlegroups.com

David Moskowitz

May 18, 2009, 10:11:28 PM5/18/09
to PC...@googlegroups.com
Just to be sure, and not make assumptions.

Cat5 -- as an extension cord or network connection?

David

From: t1builder <MG8...@aol.com>
To: PC TALK ONLINE <PC...@googlegroups.com>
Date: 5/18/2009 6:22 PM

t1builder

May 18, 2009, 10:52:10 PM5/18/09
to PC TALK ONLINE
I use a cat5e network cable, but it's not connected to a network. What
I'm doing is flashing an ecm in a GM car. I currenntly use my desktop
pc with a serial port to cat5 cable adapter and a cat5 network cable
to connect to my Tech2- that's the GM bi-directional scanner for
communicating with the cars' onboard electronics. I bring the Tech2 to
my desktop pc, install the programming into it and take the Tech2 to
the car and download the program into the module. The particular
module I need to flash needs the Tech2 connected to the car and also
to a pc to download the module program. Since the car doesn't run, and
I need to flash the module, I want to use my netbook and connect the
cat5 cable to it, but my netbook only has usb ports. My desktop pc has
the serial/cat5 cable molded as one piece so I just can't go get a
longer cat5 cable. Plus, this way, I can do any needed reflashes
anywhere I have wireless access. I went to Staples today and all they
had was a usb to serial port cable/adapter. It's a bit bulky to fit in
my Pelican netbook case, that's why I was wondering if there is such a
thing as a usb to cat5 adapter. I'm thinking it would have a usb male
end on one side and female rj45 (I think that's the type of connector
on a cat5 cable) plug on the other side.

Thanks for the links. They look like what I'm looking for, I
think.......

Mark

edheitzman

May 19, 2009, 3:44:49 PM5/19/09
to PC TALK ONLINE
It seems to me you're asking for trouble...

The Tech 2 is probably communicating via RS-232 and they just use the
RJ45 as a more convenient temporary connector than the normal d-sub.
If that's the case then it's not just wiring -- you need the data
format/protocol conversion. So you need that usb-to-serial converter
in order to use the netbook.

Using the desktop you can extend your serial-cat5 cable using a female-
female adapter like this
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=107&sku=01937&st=01937
You may also find similar ones at Radio Shack or Lowes, Home Depot,
etc. They are often used in wall plates too.

- Ed

edheitzman

May 19, 2009, 4:00:16 PM5/19/09
to PC TALK ONLINE
I just thought to loo at the Bosch website and found this for the Tech
2 (see usb note at end):
http://www.boschdiagnostics.com/parts/diagnostics/tech2/Pages/AccTech2.aspx
http://snipurl.com/id3nj [www_boschdiagnostics_com]
-----------------------------
Listed below are all the various accessories and upgrades to get the
most from your Tech 2. Please call 800-321-4889, ext. 4 if you have
questions or would like to place an order.

PC Interface Kit
Part Number: 01001089
Price: $55.00 USD
Provides hardware to connect compatible diagnostic products to a PC.
Kit is also used for downloading software updates. Kit Includes: (1)
RJ45/DB9S adapter and (1) RS232 Cable

Note: If USB connection is needed you must also order p/n
03006727-001.
---------------------------

That last part is probably an overpriced usb-to-serial converter but I
guess it's guaranteed to work.
- Ed

On May 19, 3:44 pm, edheitzman <edheitz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems to me you're asking for trouble...
>
> The Tech 2 is probably communicating via RS-232 and they just use the
> RJ45 as a more convenient temporary connector than the normal d-sub.
> If that's the case then it's not just wiring -- you need the data
> format/protocol conversion. So you need that usb-to-serial converter
> in order to use the netbook.
>
> Using the desktop you can extend your serial-cat5 cable using a female-
> female adapter like thishttp://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=107&sku=01937&st=01937

t1builder

May 19, 2009, 4:24:47 PM5/19/09
to PC TALK ONLINE
Thanks Ed. You're correct, it is a rs232 connection. I saw that
adapter on the Vetronix - now Bosch- webpage. I use the 01001089
serial adapter on my home pc. Their usb to serial adapter is probably
similar to the one I saw at Staples yesterday. It is made by Belkin
and has what looks like a 6" cable from the usb plug to the serial
connector . I'm trying not to use a usb to serial adapter to a serial
to rs232 adapter. I'm looking for just one adapter as small as
possible due to space limitations in my netbook case. There's just
enough room for the netbook, usb stick, and power cable.

As far as special protocals, I've used my current serial to rs232
adapter on different laptops with success It's that my netbook has no
seriasl port.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I'm not sure what most of this
stuff is called. That's why I always bring a cable or whatewver I'm
trying to hook up to make sure everything fits. Geez...I saw yesterday
there is a 4 wire and a 5 wire mini usb connecter. I can't focus that
good to see the difference. Old age I guess..........

Mark

edheitzman

May 20, 2009, 12:47:53 PM5/20/09
to PC TALK ONLINE
Mark,

A PC serial port is an RS-232 port, so there is no protocol conversion
there -- it's just remapping wires to a different type of connector.
In fact I'm sure you could make your own using this:
http://snipurl.com/ifbl9 [www_cyberguys_com]
Note that that comes with a loose d-sub connector and wires with pins
attached that you must insert in the connector. This is because
(unlike the 9-pin or 25-pin dsub) there is no universal standard
RS-232 pinout on an RJ-45 connector. They are used in many places, but
different organizations have their own standard pinouts.

USB on the other hand uses a very different protocol, so the
conversion needs added electronics in the cable, plus another device
driver on the computer. The USB to serial converters have electronics
built into the cable -- normally (or always?) in the d-sub connector
end.

So you will need that added junk, and since there isn't a standard
rj-45 pinout for this, you aren't likely to find one ready-made for
the Tech 2.

You can probably find a converter less bulky than the Belkin one, like
maybe one of these?:
http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=2066
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812101118
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822998007

I haven't used one of these converters in years and I don't remember
whose I did use, so I can't vouch for the reliability of any of these.

- Ed

HS NG

Jan 21, 2014, 4:59:13 PM1/21/14
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark

I was searching online for anything related to the Tech2<->pc connection
and I found this group and your question

the thing is.... I need your help.....

I own the tech2...
my cat5 cable was stolen from me along with the rs232 adapter and some other stuff..

So I bought an adapter and a cable

but I couldn't figure the correct order of the pins
and that is where I need your assistance!

please mail me if you are willing to help
so that I could explain what to do
thank you!..

--------
ps.I know it has been a long time (5 YEARS!!!) but I'd like to know what came of your search for the usb to cat5 adapter.

--------
Hosam