Backups

Joe Mezzanini

Nov 10, 2013, 6:43:26 PM11/10/13
to pctol
I was running Win7 native backup to backup my SSD (drive C)  to one dedicated external drive Z

It;s not reliable, so I found Acronis 11 and installed it.  It fails to recognize my SSD

I want Drive Z bootable.  Drive C is only O/S and apps.

What software do you all suggest.

I installed Acronis 11 and it fails to recognize my SSD

I use and love GoodSync  for my other backups but it doesn't do MBR and system type backups into a bootable external drive.

Suggestions?

RBL

Nov 10, 2013, 7:23:44 PM11/10/13
to pc...@googlegroups.com
I use Beyond Compare.

--
"We've tended to forget that no computer will ever ask a new question." -
Grace Hopper

Rich Levin
Voice: 484-552-4084
Skype: RBLevin
http://www.rblevin.org

Joe Mezzanini

Nov 13, 2013, 8:20:44 AM11/13/13
to pctol
Isn't that a file level backup?

I want an image with MBR, etc ... so after a restore I can boot with my O/S and apps all working.

My OS and apps are in SSD .. all data ion other drives..

I just need to image the SSD ..   Beyond Compare doesn't do that.
--
 God Bless America
MezzTech, LLC

Joe Mezzanini

Nov 13, 2013, 8:21:47 AM11/13/13
to pctol
Isn't that a file level backup?

I want an image with MBR, etc ... so after a restore I can boot with my O/S and apps all working.

My OS and apps are in SSD .. all data is on other drives..

I just need to image the SSD ..   Beyond Compare doesn't do that.

RBL

Joe Mezzanini

Nov 13, 2013, 10:28:42 PM11/13/13
to pctol
so you are not really backing up you boot drive and OS

RBL

Nov 14, 2013, 5:54:54 AM11/14/13
to pc...@googlegroups.com

Correct. I only care about my data.

The OS is easy enough to restore, and it takes me no time at all to restore things in the event of a catastrophic failure, and of which I haven't had one for as long as I can remember.

I can think of only two times in all my years that I have had to restore from a complete failure.

That said,  I can see the benefit of an image backup. For example, if I expanded my SSD boot drive,  it would be easier to restore from an image.

That said,  I've never found an image restore that I like since the DOS days.

Joe Mezzanini

Nov 14, 2013, 7:03:46 AM11/14/13
to pctol
I look @ it from a time savings aspect, I can restore an image in 20 minutes, but I can't re-install OS and apps and settings in 20 minutes,

As far as upgrading to a bigger SSD you can always use a disk cloner

I just bought one of these for work

just clone you current SSD to a larger one an it should work - - that's another thing on my list of things to test (at work)

Rich M

Nov 14, 2013, 8:30:27 AM11/14/13
to pc...@googlegroups.com, pctol
Joe,
I have been a long time user and proponent of Acronis until recently. Newer systems with Secure Boot and  UEFI bios have been an enigma to most of the current backup programs for making image files as UEFI has issues recognizing LInux rescue disks. For many years I tested the free ones and they always did the job, but were incredibly slow on restore. I mean hours vs minutes. After Acronis hosed 2 new laptops with Windows 8, one of which the hard drive disappeared and I had to send it back to Acer, I remembered that Macrium Reflect has a Windows PE rescue disk so I tried it and its every bit as fast as Acronis today with an interface a child can use. There is a free version that will clone and make image files. If you want incremental and differential image files then see the standard paid version which is 4 licenses for $89 or 1 for $49 I believe and there are promo coupons at "retailmenot" from time to time with great discounts as well.
If you peruse the Wilder Forum you will hear nothing but positive reviews on Macrium now and "negative nellies" on every version of Acronis. I loved it so much I bought the paid version because I wanted to contribute and they have great tech support for paid versions.

Rich M

Nov 14, 2013, 8:31:42 AM11/14/13
to pc...@googlegroups.com, pctol
I meant to add I have a laptop and a desktop running Ssd drives for OS and never had an issue using Macrium.

RBL

David Clements

Nov 14, 2013, 11:45:08 AM11/14/13
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Your blood doesn't happen to be green - does it?

David Clements

Nov 14, 2013, 11:48:25 AM11/14/13

RBL