European governments should sue Roche for Tamiflu losses

Peter Gøtzsche

Nov 8, 2012, 7:03:10 AM11/8/12
to jeffer...@gmail.com
Dear Tom and others,

the BMJ declined to publish my letter about Tamiflu and Roche where I
referrred to the open seminar arranged by Health Action International
(Europe) on 12 October on access to medical research data and wrote:

"This was after I, in my presentation, had said for the public record
that I regarded Roche's actions as the biggest theft in European
history. I stand by this. In a democratic society, I am entitled to
have my own opinion, based on facts. If Roche sues me for this, I
shall ask the company to demonstrate in court for all to see that they
did not cheat the European governments by withholding data that
appears to show that Tamiflu has dramatic effects."

The BMJ wrote to me:

"Our legal advice on it is that we would need you to give us "a
binding written indemnity to cover the BMJ's legal costs in the event
that we are sued by Roche for libel or malicious falsehood. The law of
the contract would need to be English."

Obviously, I could not indemnify the BMJ, as it might cost me
millions. So I changed my letter, which was published today, with the
title:

European governments should sue Roche

and I even got this past BMJs lawyers:

Furthermore, I suggest we boycott Roche's products until they publish
the missing Tamiflu data.

The letter is here and also attached:
http://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e7305?tab=responses

Hurrah.

bw

Peter
Gøtzsche, European governments should sue Roche BMJ 2012.pdf

Iona Heath

Nov 8, 2012, 8:54:33 AM11/8/12
to pathtodata...@googlegroups.com
Dear Peter

You are a living international treasure!

Many thanks
Iona

Iona Heath
Sent from my iPhone
> <Gøtzsche, European governments should sue Roche BMJ 2012.pdf>

Richard Lehman

Nov 8, 2012, 9:10:17 AM11/8/12
to pathtodata...@googlegroups.com
Yes indeed!

And so is Ben Goldacre. And Fi Godlee too, despite the BMJ's caution in this instance.

We now need to think how we can coordinate national and international campaigns to clean up pharma.

Richard

Yudkin, John

Nov 8, 2012, 9:13:33 AM11/8/12
to <pathtodatadisclosure@googlegroups.com>
BY PUBLISHING A CRITIQUE OF NICE IN PLOS MED......

Sent from my iPhone

Yudkin, John

Nov 8, 2012, 9:31:09 AM11/8/12
to pathtodata...@googlegroups.com
And there I was thinking I was replying to Richard!
Apologies all
John

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message: