Kids groups & the suburbs

abigai...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2014, 5:19:33 PM12/30/14
to partnersh...@googlegroups.com
I'm involved in leading Maayan Chadash in Silver Spring, MD. We've been meeting once a month on Shabbat morning for just over two years. We have been meeting in people's homes, but it seems that we've outgrown each home and are now looking for a new location. The big challenge that we are finding is that (Thank God) we have lots of kids - probably 25. The little kids are kept occupied, but the 6+ kids have a tendency to make meeting in private homes quite difficult (not enough space, and they have a tendency to make more noise, mess, etc.). How have others dealt with this?
A) what do you do with the 6+ Kids?
B) what kinds of spaces have other suburban minyanim found (for about 65-80 adult and 25 kids)? Are church recreation rooms out of the question? If you use a school gym, how do you deal with acoustics and made it feel intimate? Etc. etc.

Thanks,
Abi Dauber Sterne