Poseket

ZELDA STERN

Sep 16, 2014, 10:46:25 AM9/16/14
to partnersh...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

Do any Partnership Minyanim have a woman in the position of Poseket or Halachic Advisor?

Zelda R. Stern
Member, Darkhei Noam, New York City

Sharon Weiss-Greenberg

Sep 17, 2014, 7:51:50 AM9/17/14
to partnersh...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure that there aren't any.  Some partnership minyanim do not have any posek.  Some have a long-distance posek.  If partnership minyanim are going to become mainstream, I think that it would be important to address the lack of clergy.

-Sharon Weiss-Greenberg

Alexandra Benjamin

Sep 17, 2014, 8:16:16 AM9/17/14
to Sharon Weiss-Greenberg, partnersh...@googlegroups.com
Shira Hadasha does not have, and has never had a single posek/et. We have instead a vaad halacha made up of 5-6 individuals including men and women. they make halachic recommendations to the Kehilah.

To the other point you raise I would say that for us the lack of clergy is not a failure or weakness but a choice. in every aspect of our Kehilah - including halachic decisions - we choose to depend on an educated laity. One of the values we take from feminism is a more inclusive model of leadership from multiple sources rather than a single - or a couple - of voices.

--
This group was created by JOFA, the Jewish Orthodox Feminist Alliance, www.jofa.org. The purpose of the group is to provide a location for connection, networking, and sharing of ideas/challenges/vision for people who are involved in partnership minyanim around the world.

JOFA welcomes your comments and feedback. To learn more, or to speak to someone about more ways that JOFA can help support the work of partnership minyanim, please contact JOFA's office at jo...@jofa.org.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PartnershipMinyanim" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/partnershipminyanim.

Alexandra Benjamin
(from Israel) 052 889 7369
(from the US/Canada) 720 445 8505
(from the UK) 020 7048 2367
(from other locations) ++ 972 52 889 7369

Miriam Schacter

Sep 17, 2014, 8:25:42 AM9/17/14
to Alexandra Benjamin, Sharon Weiss-Greenberg, partnersh...@googlegroups.com
Minyan Shachar in Riverdale in the Bronx, has 4 individuals - 2 women and 2 men, who constitute our halachic advisory group.

Rori Picker Neiss

Sep 17, 2014, 8:48:15 AM9/17/14
to Miriam Schacter, Alexandra Benjamin, Sharon Weiss-Greenberg, partnersh...@googlegroups.com
Before moving to St. Louis, I was the sole halakhic decisor of our partnership minyan in Brooklyn, although I founded it so
That might be a skewed result...

Maharat Rori Picker Neiss

Director of Programming, Education, and Community Engagement
Bais Abraham Congregation
6910 Delmar Boulevard
St. Louis, MO 63130
www.BaisAbe.com
tel.314-721-3030
fax.270-721-3034

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.

Sharon Weiss-Greenberg

Sep 17, 2014, 8:58:54 AM9/17/14
to Rori Picker Neiss, Miriam Schacter, Alexandra Benjamin, partnersh...@googlegroups.com
Excellent news!  Let's keep adding on to this list.

In terms of clergy's presence, I definitely understand and have regularly heard the appeal of attending a non-clergy run service. I wonder if the partnership minyan "movement" would grow and broaden its audience if we had some with clergy positions. Especially in the Orthodox community, many constituents want a rabbi/rabba.

Dov Weinstock

Sep 17, 2014, 12:30:34 PM9/17/14
to partnersh...@googlegroups.com, rpi...@gmail.com, mirs...@gmail.com, alexandra...@gmail.com
I would guess that while some/many congregants want a posek/et, it might be more for their personal issues rather than communal ones. If so, the availability of one or more poskim/ot - either within the community or outside it - would be a positive feature, but that does not mean that those poskim/ot need to be the official rabbi/rabba for the minyan.
--Dov Weinstock
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to partnershipminyanim+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

[...]

Simon Weintraub

Sharon Weiss-Greenberg

Sep 18, 2014, 7:14:16 AM9/18/14
to Simon Weintraub, Dov Weinstock, partnersh...@googlegroups.com, rpi...@gmail.com, mirs...@gmail.com, alexandra...@gmail.com
100% Simon

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PartnershipMinyanim" group.