First Hackage release of Network.Transport and Cloud Haskell

Edsko de Vries

Jul 7, 2012, 4:41:05 AM7/7/12
to parallel...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I'm very happy to announce the first Hackage release of the new Network.Transport layer and of the new implementation of Cloud Haskell (Control.Distributed.Process). The relevant packages on Hackage are

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/network-transport-0.2.0

  The abstract Network.Transport interface

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/network-transport-tcp-0.2.0

  TCP instantiation of Network.Transport

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/distributed-process-0.2.0

  The new Cloud Haskell implementation

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/distributed-process-simplelocalnet-0.2.0

  A simple backend for Cloud Haskell (peer discovery; master/slave nodes; centralized logging)

The easiest way to get started is to have a look at the minimal example at the top of the Haddock documentation of Control.Distributed.Process.Backend.SimpleLocalnet and then check out the Cloud Haskell API as described in the Haddock documentation of Control.Distributed.Process. The original paper about Cloud Haskell ("Towards Haskell in the Cloud") is a good reference too, of course, although the API has changed slightly.

    This is still very much a beta release, and some aspects of the APIs may still change, but if you're interested we'd appreciate if you could install these packages, play with them, and report problems or suggestions for improvement.

    Edsko de Vries
    Well-Typed LLP

    Carter Schonwald

    Jul 21, 2012, 6:28:14 PM7/21/12
    to parallel...@googlegroups.com
    cool! I'm very excited (and will have a go at playing with them sometime over the coming month :) )