Announcement - Panoramio, Views and Google Maps

jamesgtherrien

Jun 2, 2015, 12:01:52 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

Among Google’s geo-imagery efforts, we strive to balance what makes sense for you, the pro or enthusiast photographer, with the needs of consumers. Achieving this balance can be a challenge, especially when publishing tools are managed under separate products, such as Panoramio, Views, Google+ and Google Maps.

So today, after listening to community feedback about the future of the platform, we’re pleased to let you know that there won’t be any immediate changes to Panoramio. Instead of aligning the community with Views, we’ve gone back to the drawing board to work on a more integrated solution that supports you and your content directly within Google Maps.

We’ll be taking the necessary time to get this right as we build a solution that strives to meet the majority of your needs. Thanks for your input, and for your patience in the year ahead.

James Therrien
Google, Inc.

Stephen SteveT

Jun 2, 2015, 12:03:08 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
THANK YOU!

Tomas K☼h☼ut

Jun 2, 2015, 12:16:21 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Thanks James for info!

P.S. sorry, I've extended your topic caption to make more clear the importance of your post. Hope you are fine with it.

Draken

Jun 2, 2015, 12:17:16 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I hope this is good news. It would be a pity to lose so strong a photo community such as Panoramio. Make it better, make it bigger but don't close it!

© Tom Cooper

Jun 2, 2015, 12:22:18 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
All: Because the account has no photos, I had some doubts about the source of this message.  However, I recall seeing James Therrien speak at the 2011 Google Geo Users Summit, so unless the profile photo is stolen, this came from the real James Therrien, who has been a key figure in Google's Geo products (which includes Panoramio) for at least 4 years.

I am encouraged by this news.  Thank you.

Tom Cooper

Draken

Jun 2, 2015, 12:28:10 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I have already translated the message for the Spanish-speaking community in the Spanish forum. I have also emailed Eduardo with the news.

Pierre M.

Jun 2, 2015, 12:34:11 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Thks a lot for the news , James

Pierre

hvbemmel

Jun 2, 2015, 12:36:25 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Great James, We keep our fingers crossed! Thanks

Draken

Jun 2, 2015, 12:41:51 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Ladies & Gentlemen:

On 29/9/2014 James Therrien used another account: https://ssl.panoramio.com/user/4455196 here:

So, is this real or fake?

Does Therrien have two accounts?

Will51

Jun 2, 2015, 12:54:17 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

obviously,  this is not a recent account !

hvbemmel

Jun 2, 2015, 12:57:55 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
The G+ link ends on https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JamesTherrienboulder/posts where Gerard is one of the followers although his profile says he worked for Google I suppose it's legit

jgtherrien

Jun 2, 2015, 1:16:24 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Hi, folks, just a quick note.  I am James Therrien.  I've worked at Google for nine years.  Posting this from an account you may know better.  The good news is true.  You can find similar messages going out on the Google Maps Forum.  Thanks, James.

Draken

Jun 2, 2015, 1:31:22 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, James. And sorry for the doubts. We have had people impersonating others in the past (trolls and the like).

Paunoramio

Jun 2, 2015, 2:20:15 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Good news!!

Daniela Brocca

Jun 2, 2015, 3:00:58 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
At last a good new! Thanks , James

RoarX

Jun 2, 2015, 3:04:59 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for this great news!!!

Please make Panoramio a great product!

CGabi

Jun 2, 2015, 3:16:20 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
At last! Good news!
Congratulations to all who believe in  Panoramio!
Thanks!

Matthew Walters

Jun 2, 2015, 3:19:26 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Thanks James.

Does a little 'happy dance'

Matthew

IPAAT

Jun 2, 2015, 3:51:32 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

Vasily Badin

Jun 2, 2015, 3:52:10 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Good news!

IPAAT

Jun 2, 2015, 3:56:28 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
And in any case, let a new team to get acquainted this list and the additions in the topic:

© Andre Speek

Jun 2, 2015, 4:55:26 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Thank you James... That is really good news for the many Panoramio enthusiasts... I can imagine that it was a tough task to make it happen, so a big shout out for all of the Googlers who strived to get to this point... ;-)

®mene

Jun 2, 2015, 4:59:04 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good. So let's hope this will really happen. Would be a great thing prevent that little forum from getting axed

Thx for that mesage :)

Hans Sterkendries

Jun 2, 2015, 7:56:16 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
So glad Google has seen the light!!!!

Thank you for this wonderful news

Volkan YUKSEL

Jun 2, 2015, 10:40:48 PM6/2/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Wow, great news :) Thank you much James :)

This means a lot to us and all the dedicated users :)

hvbemmel

Jun 3, 2015, 12:06:34 AM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Anatoly, please read https://groups.google.com/d/msg/panoramio-misc/soTF9su_zpI/lGImcT_hLA8J. (for all users)
You can find an announcement from Adam about that too in the mods forum I will send you the link

junk0128

Jun 3, 2015, 12:26:14 AM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Thank you James. I am very glad! (*^^)v

2015年6月3日水曜日 1時01分52秒 UTC+9 jamesgtherrien:

Erhard Bernstein

Jun 3, 2015, 3:01:49 AM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Yes, good news indeed. And I agree with Draken: make it bigger, make it better. My addition: and be careful with any "awesome" and "exciting" (or shall I say::exiting) changes without regarding the actual needs of the community. There is a lot of bugs and flaws to fix and many once-gotten-used-to functions to be put back into operation.

Peter van Lom

Jun 3, 2015, 3:08:09 AM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
This was a short, however uplifting message. For my part I will have to wait and see and hope for more good news.
I hope that the PA community will receive more information either by writing directly in this forum or by posting links directing us to the information.
In my opinion the communication between Google and the PA members was never satisfactory.
I would like to hear  more about the connection between PA and Google Earth as that is most interesting for many PA members.

franco benf

Jun 3, 2015, 4:10:15 AM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Many beautiful words, James , I think that if you care so much for panoramio, at least one photo, on your new account, you. could post :)

Stuart Smith

Jun 3, 2015, 6:42:13 AM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely brilliant news..... Panoramio & GE  forever!!! :)

CGabi

Jun 3, 2015, 8:10:21 AM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

Panoramio & GE  forever!!!

My respect for  the all Panoramio members  who not left the wonderful ship PANORAMIO!

My respect for all moderators that do not left the beautiful ship PANORAMIO!

But not least:

My respect for ,,captain moderators,, the respectable Herman van Bemmel alias hvbemmel!

I wish you all a nice day!

Panoramio & GE pentru totdeauna!!!

Respectul meu pentru toti panoramistii care nu au parasit minunata corabie PANORAMIO!

Respectul meu pentru toti moderatorii care nu au parasit frumoasa  corabie PANORAMIO!

Dar nu in ultimul rand:

Respectul meu  pentru ,,capitanul moderatorilor’’, respectabilul Herman van Bemmel alias hvbemmel!

Tuturor o zi frumoasa va doresc!

Text in Romanian language for translation into your native language.

Text in limba romana pentru traducere in limba nativa.

Wim Constant

Jun 3, 2015, 11:06:16 AM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Hear, hear!
Well spoken!
Let's hope the ship will keep on sailin' for a very long time!

Op woensdag 3 juni 2015 14:10:21 UTC+2 schreef CGabi:

Panoramio & GE  forever!!!

My respect for  the all Panoramio members  who not left the wonderful ship PANORAMIO!

My respect for all moderators that do not left the beautiful ship PANORAMIO!

But not least:

My respect for ,,Captain moderators,, the respectable Herman van Bemmel alias hvbemmel!

I wish you all a nice day!

Panoramio & GE pentru totdeauna!!!

Respectul meu pentru toti panoramistii care nu au parasit minunata corabie PANORAMIO!

Respectul meu pentru toti moderatorii care nu au parasit frumoasa  corabie PANORAMIO!

Dar nu in ultimul rand:

Respectul meu  pentru ,,capitanul moderatorilor’’, respectabilul Herman van Bemmel alias hvbemmel!

Tuturor o zi frumoasa va doresc!

Text in Romanian language for translation into their native language.

Heidiho not going to VIEWS

Jun 3, 2015, 11:07:43 AM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I´m with Peter,
think it`s not enough, this declaration of J. Therrien.
A lot of Panoramios in the last months joined other communities - made the experience of very good TOOLS there.
Until now GOOGLE did NOTHING to  improve the system ... for example for GROUPs.
We will do, what always we have done: wait and drink tea ....

Baycrest

Jun 3, 2015, 11:33:02 AM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Good news! I hope the Google team will hear our voice when working on the new solution. At this stage I hope all the bugs that have been appeared for years will be fixed and photo layer in GE and GM will be updated frequently.

Nick Weall

Jun 3, 2015, 12:10:09 PM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Great news and I echo Cabi's words above :

Vassilis L.

Jun 3, 2015, 12:45:41 PM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
This is good news!
Thanks Google!

c0l0gne1

Jun 3, 2015, 2:28:35 PM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like positive news- thank you for that.
However, I reserve judgment until we can see where this will lead to. As Heidi says there are other platforms where the tools offered make for a more enjoyable experience because they work - plus there are many functions Panoramio doesn't offer.
Panoramio's unique feature in the eyes of most users is the connection to GE - which is never once mentioned in the above post
.

millotaurus 1-NO VIEWS

Jun 3, 2015, 3:53:30 PM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Thanks James !

It looks like a first better...good news from  long time. And first comment from Google from several months :-)

I wish You - be smart and careful. You are working on a living organism, just Panoramio !

One more thing - please, do not forget, that Google Earth and our photos which appear there, is very important thing for all Panoramio users !

Message has been deleted

Małgorzata Kasiewicz

Jun 3, 2015, 4:24:34 PM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
This is great news for such a long time waiting, thank you James

Lady GooGoo La La

Jun 3, 2015, 10:47:28 PM6/3/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Cautious optimism!

... work on a more integrated solution that supports you and your content directly within Google Maps

I read message to say, we postponed, the deprecation of Panoramio until we can find or create a new and different place to merge it into, but it will not continue to exist in its present form.

Lady GooGoo LaLa

hvbemmel

Jun 4, 2015, 12:44:46 AM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
You know I'm an optimist Lady. We know that Panoramio works on an archaic technology, partly from 2005. There will be no way to keep it running that way, it was one of the few legitimate reasons to merge contents with an other application. Back to the drawing board means for me that they have to build Panoramio from scratch in a new technology. That this can have a positive and negative impact on the end result is clear to me.

As my views in GM went down to max 12 (on 5600+ photos) each day since classic GM doesn't work any more it can't get worse there.

I sincerely hope that Google itself starts communicating again so we can have a little bit more info on the general direction they're thinking of, old PA in a new jacket or a new application called Panoramio (or anything else, what's in a name).

dirkus49

Jun 4, 2015, 2:42:12 AM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Good on you James! You've made my day!

Andy Rodker

Jun 4, 2015, 4:11:06 AM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Excellent news! It quite cheered what had been a very bad few days!

Elios Amati (tashimelampo)

Jun 4, 2015, 4:22:38 AM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

A great good news, Thank you !!!

pvlsorin

Jun 4, 2015, 7:15:57 AM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

A great piece of news for even a greater community! Thank you, James!

CliveM

Jun 4, 2015, 8:34:28 AM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the wonderful news. I hope this means that work on fixing bugs (e.g. no new photos on Panoramio Map for over 9 months) will resume.

tosa43

Jun 4, 2015, 9:18:49 AM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
"7,422,862 followers | 913 431 631 Views" ...

How many follow facebook .... now more than before?

Google has made a mistake .... I think

Roger Powell

Jun 4, 2015, 9:47:08 AM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
For what it's worth, Google has also announced that Google Views will go off line in August.

Rainer Warzecha

Jun 4, 2015, 10:38:14 AM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful Message!
Thanks for thinking it over!!
Message has been deleted

ewarwoowar

Jun 4, 2015, 6:07:59 PM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Terrific news, so pleased that the Panoramio community can continue - thanks for listening.

Nick Gent

Jun 4, 2015, 6:48:52 PM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Unexpected but excellent news, lets hope we can all look forward to a long future with Panoramio.

neil.gilmour

Jun 4, 2015, 7:28:28 PM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I have somewhat mixed feelings.  I started uploading photos to Views months ago and that site will be shut down shortly.  See  https://plus.google.com/+GoogleMaps/posts/D4ggyFZwJDe?hl=en-US

Diane - No Views

Jun 4, 2015, 8:56:16 PM6/4/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Great info, thanks, James!!!  As much as I like ipernity, 500px and even NatGeo Yourshots, there's just something about Panoramio...

Let's hope it's thought more workable than (Groups) Google Earth Community was thought to be. (Sorry, I have trust issues by now. I might not be the only one.  Just sayin')

df3vi

Jun 5, 2015, 1:07:42 AM6/5/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
As I understand it, they will just drop the name "Views", but the product stays mainly the same thing, just gets a new look and feel - we had this, too...

Sixten Imgs

Jun 5, 2015, 3:16:35 AM6/5/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Well done, Tomas! And interesting news.

I would even add the text JUNE 2015 to every one of these newest "official announcement" titles.

So they would be more visible also to the other than the most heaviest Panoramio and forum users. Plus they would not seem just some old last decade's postings someone has commented lately.

Even better would be to forget these words "official" and "announcement" every time and write the actual, interesting message ( of joy, this time :) straight to the titles. I estimate there would be about 500 % more readers after that. And so: more Panoramio users in the future. I hope that is the idea inside the Google.

tiistai 2. kesäkuuta 2015 19.16.21 UTC+3 Tomas K☼h☼ut kirjoitti:
Thanks James for info!

P.S. sorry, I've extended your topic caption to make more clear the importance of your post. Hope you are fine with it.

© Ana García de Pablo

Jun 6, 2015, 1:46:08 AM6/6/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Great news! thanks, James!!!

Dust...

Jun 6, 2015, 6:58:23 AM6/6/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
merci ! =)

© mimipet.com

Jun 6, 2015, 5:24:35 PM6/6/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
One really good news James!
Thank you by all Bulgarians in Panoramio!
Message has been deleted

♥ Gabriele Müller ♥

Jun 6, 2015, 9:11:49 PM6/6/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
https://plus.google.com/+GoogleMaps/posts/D4ggyFZwJDe?hl=de

Thank you for this good news! Welcome back Panoramio - Goodbye forever Views!

Melsen Felipe

Jun 6, 2015, 10:48:16 PM6/6/15

El martes, 2 de junio de 2015, 10:01:52 (UTC-6), jamesgtherrien escribió:

[...]

The nightmare is over, thank you very much

NO VIEWS Xacobeo4

Jun 6, 2015, 11:00:13 PM6/6/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Los Felicitos lo sabia lo presentia que Panoramio sobreviviria, Gracias a todos ustedes los moderadores, por mantener el barco a flote, y no abandonarnos

NO VIEWS Xacobeo4

Jun 6, 2015, 11:00:42 PM6/6/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I congratulate you all knew I sensed that survive Panoramio, Thank you all moderators, to keep the ship afloat, and not leave us, my sincere thanks to all Rebeca
Message has been deleted

hvbemmel

Jun 6, 2015, 11:48:27 PM6/6/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
deleted double post

Joe_Lourenco

Jun 7, 2015, 12:03:52 AM6/7/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
This is very good news to all of the people whom depend on sites like this to plan future travel!

vtgbart

Jun 7, 2015, 8:56:40 AM6/7/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I will abstain from cheering until Google repairs the PA Map, so newly uploaded pictures will appear on it. The last pictures visible on PA Map were uploaded on August 2014. Do you think they managedt the problem, or we will have first anniversary of broken map this August ?

best bart

Zane Adams

Jun 7, 2015, 9:41:34 AM6/7/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

Fantastic news! The integration of Panoramio and Google Maps is an amazing tool! Being able to see the world through other people's art and vision is one of the things that brings me back to Google Maps every day!

Good call. Make it work!

John Skovhus

Jun 7, 2015, 11:36:30 AM6/7/15
Den torsdag den 4. juni 2015 kl. 15.47.08 UTC+2 skrev Roger Powell:
For what it's worth, Google has also announced that Google Views will go off line in August.

Included in the announsment that Google Views will go off line in august is this message:
"Your Views profile will have a new look and feel, and be transferred over to Google Maps when Views goes offline in mid–August"
And further:
"All of your existing, Maps-approved photos, photo spheres and constellations will continue to be visible — and deletable — through the Google Maps website. All images from your Views profile, including those that have not been approved for Google Maps, will continue to be hosted on Google+. And when publishing via Google+, geotagged images with the appropriate permissions will also continue to appear in Google Maps and Google Earth".

So this is not the end for views, but a transfer to a Google Maps acount.

kamalakaranthati

Jun 8, 2015, 3:55:58 PM6/8/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

Thanks GOOGLE,somehow Good news to us.

Diane MP

Jun 9, 2015, 2:21:48 AM6/9/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Pardon me if this has already been posted somewhere, but HERE is a nice article about Panoramio and its relentless members!

Henu1

Jun 9, 2015, 4:37:21 AM6/9/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
TTHHAANNKkss

Frank-cp

Jun 9, 2015, 12:02:10 PM6/9/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
El cierre de Panoramio es un error, en mi opinion.

No entiendo a Panoramio, podian dejar la web de pago al estilo Flickr por una asequible cuota anual y compensar esa cuota por ingresos de Publicidad y no dejar a millones de usuarios colgados. Creo que es un error por parte de google la decision que han tomado. Hay muchas alternativas posibles para no cerrar Panoramio.

Saludos a todos.

Frank-cp

Jun 9, 2015, 12:40:18 PM6/9/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Panoramio cierra contra la voluntad de sus usuarios, Google sigue con la paranoia de la fotografia 360º con el proyecto "Views", ni siquiera de dignan en transferir las cuentas de Panoramio hacia Views.

Wim Constant

Jun 9, 2015, 1:39:44 PM6/9/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
This is the ENGLISH part of the forum.
Please write here in English or go to the forum of your language

Wim Constant

Jun 9, 2015, 1:39:58 PM6/9/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
This is the ENGLISH part of the forum.
Please write here in English or go to the forum of your language

millotaurus 1-NO VIEWS

Jun 9, 2015, 3:13:46 PM6/9/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure,that new technology is better than old one. I use many applications and try to avoid any "upgrading", because mostly they become worse than previous.
It is general trend, also in IT technology, that new "things" are worse.

W dniu czwartek, 4 czerwca 2015 06:44:46 UTC+2 użytkownik hvbemmel napisał:
You know I'm an optimist Lady. We know that Panoramio works on an archaic technology, partly from 2005. There will be no way to keep it running that way, it was one of the few legitimate reasons to merge contents with an other application. Back to the drawing board means for me that they have to build Panoramio from scratch in a new technology. That this can have a positive and negative impact on the end result is clear to me.

As my views in GM went down to max 12 (on 5600+ photos) each day since classic GM doesn't work any more it can't get worse there.

I sincerely hope that Google itself starts communicating again so we can have a little bit more info on the general direction they're thinking of, old PA in a new jacket or a new application called Panoramio (or anything else, what's in a name).

Cautious optimism!

On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 1:28:35 AM UTC+7, c0l0gne1 wrote:
This sounds like positive news- thank you for that.
However, I reserve judgment until we can see where this will lead to. As Heidi says there are other platforms where the tools offered make for a more enjoyable experience because they work - plus there are many functions Panoramio doesn't offer.
Panoramio's unique feature in the eyes of most users is the connection to GE - which is never once mentioned in the above post
.

Tomros - Pano

Jun 11, 2015, 12:45:28 AM6/11/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I got the news about a week ago, as I respond to the few emails infrequently.  I am skeptical. Very skeptical.
Not sure I'll come back. The relationship with Panoramio is kind of ruined.

I am happier with 500px,(https://500px.com/tmrother) then I have ever been with Panoramio.

They are not jerking me around, changing things for change sake.

If Starbucks would always put spoiled cream in your coffee, would you come back for more?

Peter van Lom

Jun 11, 2015, 6:53:12 AM6/11/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Tom, you are quite right to feel that way.
And some of us feel at home at other photo sites.
I'm sceptical too. But I choose to upload a few new pictures again in order
to show that I am positiv about the anouncement from Google.
Soon I will be dormant again......

© Tom Cooper

Jun 11, 2015, 8:47:41 AM6/11/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I am also skeptical.  But you should not let yourself think that 500px would never do anything to stick it to the users.  If some big company came along and made the right offer to buy 500px (or any other photo site), you could find yourself in the same boat.

I once saw a large bank in the US make a ton of money on fees.  Their customers all left for other banks.  No depositors, no bank, so they went and bought another small bank and fee'd those customers to death...and another, and another...I knew people who had never joined this bank, but had left it 5 times.

In the internet world, it is even easier to stick it to stakeholders.

Tom

tosa43

Jun 16, 2015, 9:16:14 AM6/16/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Tom, I agree
I think that Google made a big mistake.
1. Comments and contacts on Panoramio almost stopped...
2. Comments and contacts on Google are reduced.

LutzP

Jun 16, 2015, 2:33:55 PM6/16/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't buy any coffee at starbucks regardless the condition of the cream, because they don't pay any taxes here ;-)

Kingdavidofscotland

Jun 17, 2015, 11:43:46 AM6/17/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
If views is closing and panoramio isn’t, does this mean our images wont be migrating to views as previously told?
“Hence the reason we should all get a google+ page

More so does this also mean those of us who mapped images in views, those images will migrate back to our panoramio account? I hope so!!!!

Plus does google have any plans to bring back the VIEW PHOTOS ON MAPS function they had on classic maps. Which in my opinion made maps so much better, where now its just slow, blocky and dull without everyone’s images.

Honest to god I haven’t got a clue what’s going on or where I should map my images, plus how long will it be before panoramio is under threat again ;((

hvbemmel

Jun 17, 2015, 12:30:34 PM6/17/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Honest to god I haven’t got a clue what’s going on

Well you´re in good company we don´t know either.
All that we know is what we can rhyme together from all announcements in all kind of fora and blogs.

So this is what we know.

  • Google+ will be abandoned as (main) place where photos are stored ( Panoramio photos excepted for the moment). Your photos will be stored in your Google Drive and you will be able to access them through Google Photos. See the misc forum for more info
  • Google Views will stop in August. The spherical panorama´s from Views will go to Streetview then, the other Views photos will still show up in GM, Views will eventually end up as part of GM
  • Panoramio will continue for the time being. Google will redesign "Panoramio" and it should be integrated with GM too with "solutions that will meet our needs"
-------------------------
the rest is hypothetically
We can guess that, until Google is ready with there reorganization, which will not be any time soon, there will be no cross storing of photos. Photos you uploaded in Views are there and photos you uploaded in Panoramio are here. there will be no easy way to transfer photos from one to the other for the time being, other then uploading them again in the other platform. For Panoramio this means uploading the old fashioned way, For Views this will be through uploads in Google Photos (or G+ / Picasaweb / Google Drive). They will have to be located and publicly shared to end up in Maps.

O I´m sure there once will be a View on map function, but I guess not in the way we are used to, but more in the way they are shown in Views now.

We have had no direct communication from anyone working for Google (James Therrien is not working for Google any more according to his G+ profile, so he acts as a spokesman for Google) since September 2014.

© Tom Cooper

Jun 17, 2015, 12:57:56 PM6/17/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
So we still have no reliable communication from Google. :(

Frankly, I don't believe anything any more.

On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 11:30:34 AM UTC-5, hvbemmel wrote:
...James Therrien is not working for Google any more according to his G+ profile, so he acts as a spokesman for Google...

hvbemmel

Jun 18, 2015, 1:44:28 AM6/18/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I´m sure the communication from James is reliable, seeing the same wording in the announcement of Views

Among Google’s imagery products, we strive to balance what makes sense for you, the pro or enthusiast photographer, with the needs of consumers. Achieving this balance can be a challenge, especially when publishing tools are managed under separate products.

I can imagine a lot of things happening that are positive to the Panoramio community and I read James´s announcement in that light. Of course I will stay skeptical, quoting Shakespeare "For trust not him that hath once broken faith" . As long as the patient is breathing I hope someone at Google´s will have the sense to understand that a. they can not make a working product without having users, that they b. can not make a good working product without "specialist" users that have a sense and the experience of what makes a real photographer, pro or amateur, tick.

Sababoy

Jun 18, 2015, 9:59:29 AM6/18/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Very good news! Thank God!

fenc...@yahoo.com

Jun 18, 2015, 10:02:35 AM6/18/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic news! Been a fan of Panoramio since 2007.

Well done Google.

thailon

Jun 18, 2015, 10:02:53 AM6/18/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Perfect, thanks !!!!

BertKg

Jun 18, 2015, 10:03:01 AM6/18/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
This is good news. At least much better than a date of final closure! Let's not be sceptical now, but spread the news in all our panoramio posts. It surely will take a while but then Panoramio will revive to the old level!

Grtz,
Bert

Urias Takatohi

Jun 18, 2015, 10:07:39 AM6/18/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Glad to know that. And we will follow feeding this precious data bank of pictures with quality images and information of where it were taken.

Urias

harryjuselius

Jun 18, 2015, 10:23:23 AM6/18/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Awesome news ...yess...hj

makis-GREECE ®

Jun 18, 2015, 11:18:27 AM6/18/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
This is a very good news!

NachoBen

Jun 18, 2015, 11:55:03 AM6/18/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much!

Nemanja Ćosović

Jun 18, 2015, 12:20:42 PM6/18/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Since 2007 when Google bought Panoramio, it seems that there was never any real pursuit on Google's part to make it into something bigger. It was just a tool in a toolbox that Google could have (has?) used to combat Yahoo!'s flicker. It would be nice to see some changes on Panoramio, because there is still chance to make it bigger, better and more useful to ordinary people.

TL;DR
I like Panoramio, wish it had more attention from its owners.

Петар Бојић

Jun 18, 2015, 1:54:01 PM6/18/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations to the right decision! As a newly retired it means a lot to me!

Mário Eloi Castro

Jun 18, 2015, 5:20:46 PM6/18/15
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Great News!

I'm glad Google took a step back, or at least decided to stop and think.

For all those of you that helped in our campaign... THANK YOU guys! :-)
It is loading more messages.
This conversation is locked