♫ Swissmay

Mar 10, 2010, 4:27:14 AM3/10/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
I don't mind campingsites and hotels etc. making use of the photos, as long as they link them correctly to the original photo.

GE hosts links directly on photos, some of which, imho are questionable. It's clever of photo studios to put their PR on photos which aren't their own, as I have found several ones on my photos. It's smart of hotels and ressorts putting PR links on sites, which are hundreds of km away. I can live with that, it's not to what I object here.

What I disagree, is, when photos on Google Earth host doubtful 'Sponsored links' in photos with PR for political votes, plastic surgery, another PR on photos for 'anonymous burials', etc. 47°13'54.00 N 7°39'07.20 E

What I disapprove even more to see in my photos, are such addresses as seen under 47°00'04.75 N 7°50'03.77 E. There were two dubious addresses, one of them has been exchanged now, but there is still one left under the title 'Dein Todestag kommt...'

Obviously a site to make money with the fear of some anxious people.

I would like to know the opinion of other Panoramio users about such a use of their photos?

I hope GE will take off the mentioned website from my photo.

May

skida

Mar 10, 2010, 10:18:25 AM3/10/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
So far I haven't had the sort of advertisers you refer to, May, but I do find it funny on one of my photos of a derelict farmhouse to see a sponsored link for "Holiday Cottages".

hvbemmel

Mar 10, 2010, 10:50:58 AM3/10/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Hi May,

When the "sponsoring" began april last year there were many dubious advertizers. like travels for homosexuals with a church and so. There was a promise then that they would look in to advertisements that are controversial (which is of course debatable).

I advise you to send an email to questions@ with one or more examples.

Herman

Discussion here

AustinMN

Mar 10, 2010, 10:51:07 AM3/10/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote skida:
So far I haven't had the sort of advertisers you refer to, May, but I do find it funny on one of my photos of a derelict farmhouse to see a sponsored link for "Holiday Cottages".

I have seen some interesting connections - Gay travel sites on churches, churches on other churches, businesses in one state on photos in another state but with the same city name (thousands of miles/km away), things latched on to a single word in the title, etc.

It's better than it used to be, but has a way to go.

Austin

CMCarroll

Mar 10, 2010, 11:03:47 AM3/10/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
These strangely matched pair have become one of the more entertaining features of Google/Panoramio. Remember, someone paid for that link between one's picture of a ruin and 'holiday cottages'.

♫ Swissmay

Mar 10, 2010, 7:49:53 PM3/10/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote skida:
So far I haven't had the sort of advertisers you refer to, May, but I do find it funny on one of my photos of a derelict farmhouse to see a sponsored link for "Holiday Cottages".

Hi Keith,

As i wrote above, I don't mind the hotels and campingsites. It's the sites, who advertize on my photos telling to find out the death date and a german firm advertizing for dubious burials, spreading ashes in the Swiss mountains etc. which I don't want to see on my photos.

On the continent are far more advertizers than on the British and Irish map.

But something else I am wondering now. Could it be, that we don't see the same advertizers? For example in your photo near Whitfield on the river Allen, I discovered a Swiss ad RoyalCaribbean.ch about crusades and at Blackadderwater in Berwickshire Scotland I found an ad for a Chinese restaurant in Bern Switzerland. On one of my photos North of Manchester a Swiss ad for language courses. On the Alladale river in Scotland an ad for salmon fishing in Canada etc. In the middle of Mexico I found a German firm advertizing for car rent in Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt.

I think, depending on the country we are logged in, we see different ads.

Again, I don't mind those last ads, but I wish, GE would be more careful about letting firms, which don't keep up to ethic standards, place their ads on photos of Panoramio users.

May

♫ Swissmay

Mar 10, 2010, 8:03:54 PM3/10/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to all for joining the conversation, though no one answered my question!

I would like to know the opinion of other Panoramio users about such a use of their photos?

Quote hvbemmel:
Hi May,

...There was a promise then that they would look in to advertisements that are controversial (which is of course debatable).

I advise you to send an email to questions@ with one or more examples.

Herman

Discussion here

Herman, thank you for telling and the link. It's just the place to tell about this problem, though I doubt, if anybody of Panoramio/GE will pay attention to it.

May

hvbemmel

Mar 11, 2010, 3:14:05 AM3/11/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote ♫ Swissmay:
Thanks to all for joining the conversation, though no one answered my question!

I would like to know the opinion of other Panoramio users about such a use of their photos?

Herman, thank you for telling and the link. It's just the place to tell about this problem, though I doubt, if anybody of Panoramio/GE will pay attention to it.

May

Hi May,

I think there are opinions ventilated in the link I gave, mine still stands. I am against advertising but understand the necessity, but when it is getting out of hand I will have to take my consequences.

I think you are too negative about the team not paying attention to it. of course the thread I mentioned is forgotten by now, there were/are some other priorities, but there is no reason to not write the team and draw their attention to the way this advertisements are getting out of hand again, with the link I gave.

bye,

Herman

AustinMN

Mar 11, 2010, 9:09:40 AM3/11/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote ♫ Swissmay:
Thanks to all for joining the conversation, though no one answered my question!

That's because the topic was discussed at length when the "sponsor links" first appeared, I think it was some 6-8 months ago.

I think the consensus was:

* We don't like it.
* It is allowed under the license agreement.
* Panoramio is doomed if there isn't a way for Google to make money off it.
* Some of the particulars are unusual, offensive, funny, and just plain baffling.

Austin

davidcmc58

Mar 11, 2010, 12:14:08 PM3/11/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
I think Austin summed it all up pretty well. I do want to add one more thing about this. The truth is my gallery has 790 photos and maybe a third to a half of them might have sponsor links on GE. At some point one loses track of which type of business are linked to his or her photos. I simply don't have the energy and time to care any more. I am sure this is true with many Pano members as my gallery is smaller than many others. For comparison's sake the OP has 75 pages of photos. Regards, David

♫ Swissmay

Mar 11, 2010, 12:33:18 PM3/11/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Herman, I appreciate your fairness! I see it as you do, the mentionend thread has been forgotten, but nevertheless I will have a try, in case they don't notice this thread! :)

As for Austin, thank you for admitting, that GE is making money with the photos. It sounded different in your answer in http://www.panoramio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19995&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=Swissmay&start=15 on the 11th of August, 7 months ago, when you

Quote AustinMN:
Quote ♫ Swissmay:
As for the "entrance fee", (please don't use unfair arguments) you all know as well as I do, that it has been largely more than paid for, by the hundreds of my uploaded photos, provided by Google/Panoramio to dozens of firms and individuals all around the world.

May

Total nonsense.

Austin

People involved in discussions, know, it needs quite some guts to utter an opinion which doesn't suit GE, because it's a policy of GE to make people ridiculous by several of their "helpers".

It's a matter of bad taste and very cynical, that certain sites, which may be more or less normal to us in our privileged world advertise in the poorest regions of our world on GE, with reducing weights, death expectations and the like.

But what I am looking for, is a compromise to which I think everybody could agree. I refer to my first posting and ask GE to block any websites, which clearly injure ethics like do the following sites and the likes, which may be on GE. Only a few examples below to show the direction, I am aiming at.

the sites, which boasts of knowing the day of death and makes money with the fear of people.

sites, which draw people's attention to anonymous burials!

sites, which advertise for plastic surgery, (there is a law in some countries, which doesn't allow to advertise for medical treatments, etc.)

any sites with political goals to manipulate votes!

May

Draken

Mar 11, 2010, 1:00:19 PM3/11/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote ♫ Swissmay:

People involved in discussions, know, it needs quite some guts to utter an opinion which doesn't suit GE, because it's a policy of GE to make people ridiculous by several of their "helpers".

May

Who are you thinking of? Who are the "helpers"?

AustinMN

Mar 11, 2010, 1:00:26 PM3/11/10
[...]

At the time I wrote it it was total nonsense. There were no sponsor links, and Google did not make (and still does not make) a single penny off the API.

Have a nice day.

Austin

hvbemmel

Mar 12, 2010, 1:58:11 AM3/12/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Hi May,

for the time being I think that the Panoramio team acts rather independent from GE. I have said things in this forum that were really not flattering for them and that is an understatement. If necessary I will continue doing so. Nevertheless they asked me to be a moderator.

I think we all are allowed, even have the obligation, to say some harsh words. Panoramio is still developing. When your children grow up you have to be stern now and then. I think this is the place to "educate" the institute Panoramio.

When that is done in a reasonable manner, in a fair discussion I think Panoramio only can benefit from our discussions. We few that are responding on the forum are the mouth of many others.

My main concern about Panoramio was the lack of communication between the team and the users. I see them now as more or less regular forum visitors and hope they will increase their communication to us. It is so much easier to accept some flaws when you are informed about it and the reason it exists.

Herman

stephan thieblemont

May 18, 2010, 11:34:00 AM5/18/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
IL NE FAUT PAS NOUS LAISSER FAIRE!
si ils n'enlèvent pas la PUB
ENLEVONS NOS PHOTOS !!!

Draken

May 18, 2010, 11:52:16 AM5/18/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote stephan thieblemont:
IL NE FAUT PAS NOUS LAISSER FAIRE!
si ils n'enlèvent pas la PUB
ENLEVONS NOS PHOTOS !!!

Instead of deleting all your photos one by one (a vey tiring job) you can ask at delete[at]panoramio[dot]com to have your whole account deleted.

You were not forced to register, you are not forced to stay if you are dissatisfied with the service.

Good bye and good luck

hvbemmel

May 18, 2010, 11:55:20 AM5/18/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
What are you shouting about? please do not write in CAPS, that's rude. Calm down and tell what on earth you mean by this outburst!

stephan thieblemont

May 18, 2010, 12:02:00 PM5/18/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote hvbemmel:
What are you shouting about? please do not write in CAPS, that's rude. Calm down and tell what on earth you mean by this outburst!

DO YOU... speak french ?
Parlez vous FRANCAIS !?
Sinon ça va pas être du GATEAU !!!
Ca ne règle pas le problème de la PUB sur nos photos !

Draken

May 18, 2010, 12:04:03 PM5/18/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Stephan

It is you who are using the wrong language here. This is the English forum. You are welcome to use the French forum: http://www.panoramio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

What's more, you have already opened a thread in that forum dealing with the same issue: http://www.panoramio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27343

If you want to participate in this thread use English. Otherwise, this thread would become the Babel Tower.

stephan thieblemont

May 18, 2010, 12:07:24 PM5/18/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote Draken:

Merci
Je n'ai pas tout compris mais je crois que c'est ce que je vais faire !
Good luck too you too... (if you stay)

Peter van Rens

May 20, 2010, 6:50:16 PM5/20/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote Draken:
. . .

Who are you thinking of? Who are the "helpers"?

Yes, I would like to see the OP answer that one too. Don't sweat it Draken, you can't make everyone happy, although I have no idea what anyone did to this one.

hvbemmel

May 21, 2010, 1:35:50 AM5/21/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote Peter van Rens:

Yes, I would like to see the OP answer that one too. Don't sweat it Draken, you can't make everyone happy, although I have no idea what anyone did to this one.

Well he wrote a couple of things in the French forum, where I answered him (yes, I know, sorry :oops: )

He just doesn't like ads next to his pictures. So I showed him that he's a little late, complaining after a year of ads. I helped him with a translation in French from the original post from Eduardo. He threatens to leave us and that's it.

Peter van Rens

May 21, 2010, 7:19:31 AM5/21/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote hvbemmel:

We'll miss him I guess.

tonyloo

May 21, 2010, 1:03:07 PM5/21/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Is there nothing we can do about that? I'm talking about ads next to our photos. It seems to me that the guy had a very good reason to be angry about. Can't we do something to prevent him from packing up? I hate goodbyes, that why I'm doing this, regards.

Draken

May 21, 2010, 1:10:48 PM5/21/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote tonyloo:
Is there nothing we can do about that? I'm talking about ads next to our photos. It seems to me that the guy had a very good reason to be angry about. Can't we do something to prevent him from packing up? I hate goodbyes, that why I'm doing this, regards.

Yes!! You can write an e-mail to Sergey Brin and/or Lawrence Page and politely ask them to remove the sponsored links because you don't like them and you don't want to see Stephan Thieblemont leaving Panoramio.

Please don't forget to tell them what you have said in another thread: "I honestly believe that for all that we did to Pano at the very least Pano owed this service to us".

Please let us know when you receive a reply.

purdey12345

May 21, 2010, 1:31:34 PM5/21/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
I sincerely hope that the powers-that-be don't get rid of the 'sponsored links' that appear via the dots on Google Earth. I find it great fun to see how the links match the image titles. My favourite so far is a pic entitled 'Stormy Weather' with a link asking if I want a counsellor. More seriously, if Pano/Google want to make a few £/$/€ off the back of my shots I'm quite happy if it means the service remains free.

hvbemmel

May 21, 2010, 1:42:03 PM5/21/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote purdey12345:
I sincerely hope that the powers-that-be don't get rid of the 'sponsored links' that appear via the dots on Google Earth. I find it great fun to see how the links match the image titles. My favourite so far is a pic entitled 'Stormy Weather' with a link asking if I want a counsellor. More seriously, if Pano/Google want to make a few £/$/€ off the back of my shots I'm quite happy if it means the service remains free.

The guys from Panoramio assured us that Panoramio is very important to Google, because it is generating many clicks from people looking for places on the web. So even without the, often ludicrous ads, Panoramio will live as it is.

Matthew Winn

May 21, 2010, 2:00:04 PM5/21/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote purdey12345:
I sincerely hope that the powers-that-be don't get rid of the 'sponsored links' that appear via the dots on Google Earth. I find it great fun to see how the links match the image titles.

A couple of days ago one of my photographs was associated with an advertisement for an ambulance for baby elephants. I didn't believe it could be real. It was: they're made by Landrover. I'd never have known that were it not for the advertising on Google Earth.

hvbemmel

May 22, 2010, 12:38:32 AM5/22/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
ambulance for baby elephants?

Kevin Childress

May 22, 2010, 6:42:27 AM5/22/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Maybe this is supposed to be obvious but where exactly are you guys seeing these ads linked to your photographs? Can you give me an example of where you're looking?

Thanks,

Kevin

hvbemmel

May 22, 2010, 7:14:11 AM5/22/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
in Google Earth to the right of a photo sometimes is one or more sponsored links like:

Kevin Childress

May 22, 2010, 7:18:48 AM5/22/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote hvbemmel:
in Google Earth to the right of a photo sometimes is one or more sponsored links like ...

Yes, very good. Thank you Herman for providing the example! One would have to borwse all their photos linked to GE to stumble across these, correct?

Draken

May 22, 2010, 7:26:29 AM5/22/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
Quote kevin childress:
Quote hvbemmel:
in Google Earth to the right of a photo sometimes is one or more sponsored links like ...

Yes, very good. Thank you Herman for providing the example! One would have to borwse all their photos linked to GE to stumble across these, correct?

Yes, you should browse all your photos to spot them. Some photos have it, some don't. It depends on some unknown factors but obviously related to advertising. Surely run by Adsense (ad serving Google app.)

I don't think photos taken in very isolated areas have sponsored links unless there is a nearby resort or a natural attraction, etc.

hvbemmel

May 22, 2010, 7:35:54 AM5/22/10
to panoram...@googlegroups.com
The nice thing is also that often the ad is from a place "worlds" away from the photo. I've seen ads for hotels in Turkey next to photos in Colombia.
It seems to get better now, but in the French forum was a guy who found an ad for a Restaurant in Lille (north of France) in the Pyrenees. In the beginning there were some problems with the combination advertisers / photos, like a travel agency for gay travels next to a church. Rather hilarious, but the church thought otherwise.

when everything is right those things are banned out now, but now and then there are some problems. That's what the fuzz was about in this case, because there was an ad of a pub next to his photo.