ethernet transmission speed is very slow

Benjamin Eberhardt

Oct 27, 2014, 9:08:28 AM10/27/14
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I bought my pandaboard back in 2012 and it was running well for more than a year with ubuntun 12.04 which canonical offered as a headless sd card image. One day after various upgrades to newer versions of ubuntu the system was getting super slow and showing many errors, commands failed, etc, so I decided to reinstall it. Since canonical was not offering images any more I tried both the ubuntu and debian builds from RC Nelson ( http://rcn-ee.net/deb/rootfs/ ). Currently I am using his latest Jessie image from August.

The main Problem that I still have across all these different versions and distributions is that somehow my ethernet throughput seems to be limited to about 10 kB/s. Receiving is (mostly) fine. I have some harddrives attached via usb and even tried a usb ethernet adaptor which worked for some hours but then also gradually decreased transmission speed until settling at about 10kB/s.

Is someone here familiar with this problem? There is very little information about this coming out of google, very few people seems to experience this problems and I tried every single hit they giving but with no luck so far. Switching back to ubuntu 12.04 is not really an option that I would like to take.

If you need more information let me know. I'd be very happy if somehow would know anything about this behaviour.

Thanks much,
Benjamin

Tom Mitchell

Oct 27, 2014, 9:34:56 PM10/27/14
to panda...@googlegroups.com
No solid information...  I am seeing periodic pauses that make
me wonder if a mutual exclusion lock chain is involved.   I do
not see data loss....      In the past this type of thing vanished
after a kernel update or two.

I just did a live update of my pandaboard to the "latest" ubuntu
and found some graphics driver problems that I care less about
because I uses it via SSH.

I keep my data on a USB device and keyboard+mouse on a powered
USB hub.   If the OS on the SD card needs refreshing I risk little or
nothing.   Any setup is scripted and saved on the USB device.
A modest size SD card is so inexpensive that keeping a couple that
boot is a good idea.

  T o m    M i t c h e l l