SD-Card configuration

TieMichael

Sep 2, 2014, 1:27:03 AM9/2/14
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I am very very new to Pandaboard, so please apologize for this maybe stupid question ;=)

We running Android ICS 4.04 on a Pandaboard ES B2.

The problem: although using a 8 GB SD-card the Internal Storage (for Documents, Downloads, Music, Photos ...)  available in Android is only 512MB. Looking at the SD-Card from Linux, it shown the entire SD-card space is used, and app 7.1 GB by 'userdata'.
We tried different SD-Card sizes, the picture is the same: 512MB availble as 'internal Storage', but the entire SD-card is filled up by 'userdata'

So it seems that somewhere the 'userspace' is limited to 512MB - but where (in which file) is it done?

I was searching for hours at various configuration files and the internet, but cannot find the solution.

Please help!

Tom Mitchell

Sep 2, 2014, 4:51:45 AM9/2/14
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Exactly what image download did you start with.
Check to see that the filesystem on the SD card does fill
the entire sd card.    If you have a linux system you should
be able to check to see if the file system and partition size
match.

  T o m    M i t c h e l l
Message has been deleted

TieMichael

Sep 2, 2014, 5:04:38 AM9/2/14
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the fast reply!

Not sure how to answer your question. It seems the original developer is no longer available so it's like reverse-engineering.
I have all image-files (boot, system, recovery, userdata), as well as xloader.bin and bootloader.bin, and followed this:

device/ti/panda/usbboot  device/ti/panda/bootloader.bin

#INSERT SD CARD IN PANDABOARD (the SD card must be empty, without partitioning, and without filesystems)
./fastboot oem format
./fastboot flash xloader ~/AOSP/device/ti/panda/xloader.bin
./fastboot flash bootloader ~/AOSP/device/ti/panda/bootloader.bin
./fastboot erase cache
./fastboot -p panda flash userdata ~/AOSP/out/target/product/panda/userdata.img
./fastboot -p panda flash boot ~/AOSP/out/target/product/panda/boot.img
./fastboot -p panda flash recovery ~/AOSP/out/target/product/panda/recovery.img
./fastboot -p panda flash system ~/AOSP/out/target/product/panda/system.img
./fastboot reboot

The filesystem fills the entire SD-card, but inside Android I only have 512MB available, altough the partition-size (seen in Linux) is e.g. 7GB

Tom Mitchell

Sep 5, 2014, 9:20:32 PM9/5/14
to panda...@googlegroups.com
The interesting bit is here:
a)  ./fastboot -p panda flash system ~/AOSP/out/target/product/panda/system.img
b) The filesystem fills the entire SD-card, but inside Android I only have 512MB available, altough the partition-size (seen in Linux) is e.g. 7GB

Missing is c) the size of the file system that gets copied into the 7GB  partition.
In general it is smaller and needs to be grown to fill the entire partition.

You can use a USB SD card reader on your pandaboard or another linux system to inspect and grow
the file system. From a different linux system or SD card make the SD card visible with a card reader
and grow the filesystem on it as needed.

TieMichael

Sep 6, 2014, 4:40:08 AM9/6/14
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Tom!

Although my question (where/how is the size defined) is not answered,
my problem (not having enough space) is solved!

I used gparted to grow the partition i.e. reduce the unused space of the partition, and it worked without problems!

Tom Mitchell

Sep 7, 2014, 3:21:21 AM9/7/14
to panda...@googlegroups.com
The initial size was set when the collection of files was put together and
the file system image was created then compressed.   On the install
it is uncompressed and copied block by block.    It cannot be large because
it must fit.

gparted and other tools are the correct solution.

Some full featured distros run a script that automatically grows the filesystem
to fill the device partitions.   This does require more bits in the bootstrap
codes initial filesystem.   It is not expected on an Android system because
the flash memory can be expected to be fixed for the target hardware.

Message has been deleted