Re: [pandaboard] PandaBoard ES Rev B3 - Ubuntu 14.04 running, mouse trouble in X

Chuck McManis

Dec 18, 2014, 3:29:24 PM12/18/14
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Your best option is to simply stop. Without manufacturer support you
won't get a reasonable user experience. And TI doesn't support Linux
on this processor any more. The second option is to stop using
hardware acceleration which will take you off the incomplete TI driver
and put into something you have all the source for. Of course the
screen updates will paint visibly as there just isn't enough memory
bandwidth in the OMAP 4460 to do this all in software (even with the
NEON instructions). If you do go software only, you can reduce your
display resolution to 1280 x 768 to try to make it a bit better speed
wise (stay away from 1920 x 1080).

--Chuck

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Marc Novakouski <mnova...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
> I'm a PandaBoard newbie and have been trying to get my board up and running
> for the last 3 days. For a while I was fighting this error:
> U-Boot SPL 2013.04-00015-gfe81c6a (Apr 24 2013 - 14:35:14)
> OMAP4460 ES1.1
> SDRAM: identified size not same as expected size identified: 0
> expected: 40000000
>

> After a great deal of research, I found this wiki:
> https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/PandaBoard
>
> Which gives me the solution to this problem by allowing me to build
> everything from scratch, patch the bootloader, and load it all effectively
> on my SD Card. I can confirm that if you follow the instructions on that
> wiki (for the most part to the letter, with some modifications for path and
> kernel version, let me know if you are interested in specifics) you will end
> up with a bootable version of Ubuntu 14.04 on your pandaboard. This leads
> me to my actual problem.
>
> Once I was able to get Ubuntu running, I wanted to run a windows manager.
> So I downloaded X (apt-get install xubuntu -desktop) which, of course, took
> forever, but eventually succeeded. Now, oddly, whenever I try to manually
> boot to the desktop using startx, it hangs, but that's not the actual
> problem I'm fighting, as rebooting the board will boot directly to X. My
> problem is, once I get into X, after a small amount of mouse usage (move it
> randomly for < 30 seconds) the mouse cursor will freeze. Luckily, I have
> the Serial port hooked up to my development laptop, and when the mouse
> freezes, I get the following error scrolling (it scrolls when you move the
> mouse, stops when you stop):
> [[time]] omapdrm omapdrm.0: dispc_ovl_setup failed: -22
>
> Continue to move the mouse and the error will continue to scroll. Wait long
> enough and/or move it enough, and you will trigger the following error which
> DOES scroll continuously independent of if you are moving the mouse:
> [[time]] [drm:omap_irq_error_handler] *ERROR* errors: 00000200
>
> Here's the interesting thing. If I switch away from the X desktop using
> ctrl-alt-1 and switch back with ctrl-alt-7, it somehow resets the state and
> I can use the mouse for another 15-30 seconds before the first error starts
> again. Google tells me that the dispc_ovl_setup error traces back to an
> omap error, which seems to mean that it's somehow failing to draw the
> cursor, but the mouse location is still being processed. Which is true!
> Because I can still move it and it highlights the things it should be over,
> I just don't get a cursor icon. And again, once I swap out and back to the
> desktop I get another 15-30 seconds or normal usage.
>
> Any thoughts or suggests would be highly appreciated!
> Thanks very much!

Nishanth Menon

Dec 19, 2014, 5:55:42 PM12/19/14
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Chuck McManis <chuck....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Your best option is to simply stop. Without manufacturer support you
> won't get a reasonable user experience. And TI doesn't support Linux
> on this processor any more. The second option is to stop using

> hardware acceleration which will take you off the incomplete TI driver
> and put into something you have all the source for. Of course the
> screen updates will paint visibly as there just isn't enough memory
> bandwidth in the OMAP 4460 to do this all in software (even with the
> NEON instructions). If you do go software only, you can reduce your
> display resolution to 1280 x 768 to try to make it a bit better speed
> wise (stay away from 1920 x 1080).

just in case you need, upstream kernel and u-boot does boot on this
platform. not that it helps when you want SGX accelleration or video
accelerators enabled etc.. yeah, none of that is being touched anymore
to my knowledge.

---
Regards,
Nishanth Menon