new PandaBoard ES problem

Ilaria Cianci

Dec 18, 2014, 11:10:11 AM12/18/14
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I just mounted my new PandaBpard ES. I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 on the sd
card.

When I turn on the Panda, I got this error:

SDRAM: identified size not same as expected size identified: 0
expected: 40000000

How can I do? which file I have to modify?

Thanks a lot
Best regars,
Ilaria Cianci

Robert Nelson

Dec 18, 2014, 11:54:58 AM12/18/14
to pandaboard
On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 10:06 AM, Ilaria Cianci <ilaria...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I just mounted my new PandaBpard ES. I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 on the sd
> card.
>
> When I turn on the Panda, I got this error:
>

> SDRAM: identified size not same as expected size identified: 0
> expected: 40000000
>

> How can I do? which file I have to modify?

The memory module used on the ES went EOL, svtronic's swapped the ic
to a newer model with only 1 cs line.

You need to use a much newer u-boot. (or just mainline u-boot)

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

Marc Novakouski

Dec 18, 2014, 12:01:44 PM12/18/14
to panda...@googlegroups.com, ilaria...@gmail.com
Hi Ilaria,
As a PandaBoard newbie myself, I just spent the last 3 days fighting this issue.  Ultimately I was able to discover the problem is a configuration issue in the boot loader, which specifically affects the PandaBoard ES Rev B3.  In order to get past it, I followed EVERY STEP from this page:
https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/PandaBoard

It walks you through a fresh install of a PandaBoard, and requires manually building 2 kernels.  At the end, you have a bootable version of Ubuntu 14.04, which I can confirm works.

SOME IMPORTANT NOTES:
1. When setting up the SD card, (this section: https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/PandaBoard#PandaBoard-SetupmicroSD/SDcard) you must use the proper drive location for your SD Card.  Mine installed at /dev/sdb, so I used that for the export command.  HOWEVER, when you get to the file system table command later on (at https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/PandaBoard#PandaBoard-FileSystemsTable%28/etc/fstab%29) it is CRITICAL that you DO NOT change the drive location (from /dev/mmcblk0p1 to /dev/sdb1, as I did) or you will end up with an unwriteable disk.

2. When building the kernels, run the commands exactly.  When copying the kernels to the SDCard (here: https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/PandaBoard#PandaBoard-InstallKernelandRootFileSystem) You need to realize that the export kernel_version command is NOT consistent over both the "board file" and "device tree" branches have different versions.  For example, I built 3.9.11-x5.zImage in the stable_kernel directory, while I also built 3.17.4-armv7-x3.zImage in the armv7* directory.  As such, you need to modify the commands to use either the "board file" or "device tree" versions as appropriate when copying.

Hope this helps!

Luca Ellero

Dec 19, 2014, 6:27:26 AM12/19/14
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
recently I wrote a document about installing latest (almost) U-Boot,
Linux Kernel and BusyBox on Panda:

http://www.brickedbrain.com/projects/panda_uboot_linux_busybox.php

Hope this helps
Regards
Luca

menon.n...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2014, 5:58:15 PM12/19/14
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 5:28 AM, Luca Ellero <lro...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> http://www.brickedbrain.com/projects/panda_uboot_linux_busybox.php

git checkout -b panda v2014.07

U-Boot SPL 2014.07
OMAP4430 ES2.0
SPL: Please implement spl_start_uboot() for your board
SPL: Direct Linux boot not active!
** Partition 1 not valid on device 0 **
spl_register_fat_device: fat register err - -1
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

Do you still have that issue with latest u-boot releases like v2015.01-rc3 ?

Luca Ellero

Dec 22, 2014, 4:06:00 AM12/22/14
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I have the same issue with latest u-boot release.
Probably my Panda is somewhat broken.
Regards