How to set up kernel 3.5.0 for Pandaboard ES

Ronny Bismark

Sep 25, 2012, 1:44:50 PM9/25/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I kind of new to kernel building but I would like to try my own kernel. I pretty much followed the "how to" on this site ( http://elinux.org/Panda_How_to_kernel_3_5_rcx ) to install the 3.5.0-rc7
everything is okay but I don't get why they I need some different files (generating an MLO and an u-boot.img) for the Pandaboard ES (the older board doesn't require these) and what should i do with these files?
How can I configure or install the MLO & u-boot.img

When I just preoceed with the normal "how to" I just get an vmlinuz-3.5.0-rc7-omap4 and an initrd.img-3.5.0-rc7-omap4 which is enough for the flash-kernel script.

Regards,

John Tobias

Sep 25, 2012, 1:57:06 PM9/25/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
This link may help you to understand why you need MLO/uboot:
http://www.omappedia.com/wiki/Get_started_with_ubuntu_on_omap4

Ronny Bismark

Sep 25, 2012, 3:03:14 PM9/25/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Thank you to pointing me to this tutorial. But I still not clear with the Kernel installation.
Because now I have a MLO & a u-boot.img (which I should copy to the FAT partition of the SD card)
Are these additional files to the compiled kernel from source or is this standalone?

I'm just wondering because compiling the kernel from source takes almost an hour compared to this solution, which takes 2 min

Ronny Bismark

Sep 28, 2012, 2:33:45 PM9/28/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I used the tuorial from this site to build and install ne new kernel.
I copied the MLO u-boo.bin and the uImage to the FAT partition of my Pandaboard and then I can boot but I get following message:

FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/3.5.0-rc7-dirty/modules.dep: No such file or directory
fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
/dev/mmcblk0p2: clean, 319456/3887104 files, 10158442/31093248 blocks
modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/3.5.0-rc7-dirty/modules.dep: No such file or directory
modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/3.5.0-rc7-dirty/modules.dep: No such file or directory

after the boot up I tried to load a module manually without success. This is the result:
ls: cannot access /lib/modules/3.5.0-rc7-dirty: No such file or directory

would be great to get your help. I dont know where the failure is..

Regards,

Ronny Bismark

Sep 28, 2012, 2:45:21 PM9/28/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
sorry I forgot the link of the tutorial. ( http://elinux.org/Panda_How_to_kernel_3_5_rcx )

Basically I do.

Getting mainline Kernel

Getting special uboot and MLO for Pandaboard ES
mkdir pandaboard-es
cd pandaboard-es
git clone git://git.linaro.org/boot/u-boot-linaro-stable.git
cd u-boot-linaro-stable
git checkout -b pandaboard-es origin/Linaro-u-boot-2011.12

Make my own config file ( copied the rc7 inside http://elinux.org/images/1/14/Config.3.5-rc7.1)
vim .config
sudo make menuconfig

build the uImage
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=Path_to_your/arm-2010q1/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi- uImage

then I copied everything to my FAT partition and booted

John Tobias

Sep 28, 2012, 3:26:11 PM9/28/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=Path_to_your/arm-2010q1/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-
uImage modules
cp the uImage into your FAT partition
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=Path_to_your/arm-2010q1/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-
INSTALL_MOD_PATH=<path of your rootfs> modules_install

john

CHUCK

Nov 20, 2014, 1:38:42 PM11/20/14
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
i got the same error - could you please let me know, what worked at the end - thanks?!