NICAR Panda Users - Server Issues?

thya...@gmail.com

May 19, 2016, 11:37:43 AM5/19/16
to PANDA Project Users
Any Panda users out there who set up their account through NICAR? I work a small nonprofit newsroom and we are trying to locate the site admin because our server (which has worked just fine before) is down and we can't access our databases. NICAR says they don't have a contact with the journalists who set up the project. Any tips?

Thanks kindly.

Thy Vo
VoiceofOC.org

Brian Boyer

May 19, 2016, 1:19:24 PM5/19/16
to panda-pro...@googlegroups.com
Hi! This thread might be helpful:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/panda-project-users/bljObPsYG14

thya...@gmail.com

May 19, 2016, 2:41:55 PM5/19/16
to PANDA Project Users
Hey - thanks for the response. So a quick disclaimer, we do not have any tech staff and so I'm a run-of-the-mill reporter trying to figure this out. I have some rudimentary python experience.

Here's the deal: I have access to our Amazon Web Services account and the weird thing is there is no existing AMI or instance that I can see. It looks like there's no history of us having installed PANDA...although it was working just fine a week or two ago.

Has anyone encountered this problem? We are up to date with our payments, payment records suggest we have been using PANDA regularly, I just can't seem to figure out what happened.

Joe Germuska

May 19, 2016, 3:02:52 PM5/19/16
to panda-pro...@googlegroups.com
Thy:

Abstractly, one possibility is that you aren't using the correct AWS account.

If you have access to your AWS console, you should at least be able to look at the billing history and verify that you had been being charged. There's also an instance usage report -- I think this link should work to see your data if you're logged in.

If those turn up that you are on the right account, and for some reason the instance is gone, then you'll have to hope that someone did a backup. There's more about how one can do this at http://panda.readthedocs.io/en/latest/backups.html but of course, there's no way to restore unless someone did.

hope this helps...

Joe Germuska
J...@Germuska.com * http://blog.germuska.com

"I felt so good I told the leader how to follow."
-- Sly Stone