Becoming end-of-life; now what?

Mike Stucka

Mar 20, 2017, 1:48:42 PM3/20/17
to panda-pro...@googlegroups.com
Back in July 2015 I was hoping to bring PANDA to a newer operating system. I was going to do it last summer, too. I didn't.

Yeah. The operating system underlying PANDA will stop getting updates at the end of next month. I don't *think* it will be a huge deal to bring it up to a newer one (Ubuntu 16.04, buying us four years of maintenance) -- but it's gotta get done.

And besides just getting PANDA running on newer software, we should find a way to transition existing installs. That might be something as a PostgreSQL dump.

If you're interested, you might wander by News Nerdery's Slack channel in #pandaproject. If you need an invite, please contact me off-list.

Mike

--
26.58584, -80.16876 icbm
“A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.” -- Mitch Ratcliffe

Christopher Groskopf

Mar 21, 2017, 6:01:14 PM3/21/17
to panda-pro...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mike, so there actually has been some discussion very recently about reviving PANDA under new overlords. Several of us met last week to try to figure out what would need to be done to bring it up to spec. I'm not sure how long the interested parties will need to deliberate, but if they do take it on it would likely involve upgrading all parts of the stack and refreshing the deploy process.

If that doesn't happen, then I'm not sure what the next step is. At this moment none of the original project participants are working in places that are actively using it, so it's very difficult for us to budget any time. We'd love to see somebody who is using it take on the task of updating it, and we'd be happy to offer up the commit bit to someone who has that time to invest.

Best,
Chris

Matt Clark

Mar 21, 2017, 9:47:15 PM3/21/17
to PANDA Project Users, stu...@whitedoggies.com
We use it a lot at Newsday. I'm not concerned about the lack of OS support, at least initially. Unfortunately, all this work falls on my weak spots in terms of knowledge and it would take me far longer to do it than someone more familiar with systems administration. So, even if I had more time to work on it I would be at a serious disadvantage. I would be more likely to help improve the interface and features, but I think it makes sense to upgrade the stack before that occurs.

Chicago Breaking

Mar 22, 2017, 1:41:39 PM3/22/17
to PANDA Project Users, chrisg...@gmail.com
This is Liam Ford from the Chicago Tribune. Unfortunately, we don't have people to work on this, but please let us know how things develop. Sigh.

Mike Stucka

Mar 22, 2017, 3:22:44 PM3/22/17
to panda-pro...@googlegroups.com
It's the security issues that make me want to get the thing on a new database. If a big security bug gets found in May, it's not supposed to get fixed ... and I'm pretty sure most every PANDA install will have stuff considered sensitive in it, and possibly stuff that would be double-plus ungood if it leaked. I mean, I'm not rushing to publish our whole voter database, even though that's public record; I surely don't want our staff contacts published.

I gotta get to this.

Mike