Keeping PANDA going / potential install changes

Mike Stucka

Jul 9, 2015, 10:32:03 AM7/9/15
to panda-pro...@googlegroups.com
I inherited a PANDA instance I've apparently already killed off, but it was broken when I got here. =)

unattended-upgrades as installed by PANDA applies upgrades but never autoremoves, and the old linux-header directories have an incredible amount of files. My server, which hadn't been logged into about a year, was out of inodes, so uploads never worked.

unattended-upgrades had a problem with auto-remove that may have been fixed just in the last couple weeks, but you'd have to look for the backports:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unattended-upgrades/+bug/1267059

I tried upgrading our old instance to Ubuntu 14.04, as 12.04 goes out of service in about a year. It seemed to work fine for a while, but then OpenSSH started shutting down not long after starting. The current AMIs really shouldn't be used for upgrades, as they're not set up for a particular virtualization software and are using a 32-bit version of the operating system.

I also took a stab at tweaking setup_panda.sh to support a clean install of 14.04. I found some errors in the 12.04 script, at least. Running this got me to a Gateway Error in nginx ...

### Note: Script for 12.02 linked from the docs is at a bad URL. Should be:
### https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pandaproject/panda/master/setup_panda.sh

### Should this be dist-upgrade?
apt-get --yes upgrade

### Should we do this, too?
apt-get --yes install solr-common openjdk-7-jdk

### Recommending we run this, too:
apt-get --yes autoremove
apt-get --yes clean

# Setup Solr + Jetty
### wget -nv http://archive.apache.org/dist/lucene/solr/3.4.0/apache-solr-3.4.0.tgz -O /opt/apache-solr-3.4.0.tgz

cd /opt
### tar -xzf apache-solr-3.4.0.tgz
### mv apache-solr-3.4.0 solr
### cp -r solr/example solr/panda

### Add this
ln -s /usr/share/solr ./solr

# Get PANDA code
git clone https://github.com/pandaproject/panda.git panda
cd /opt/panda
git checkout $VERSION
### ERROR:
### + git checkout 1.1.2
### error: pathspec '1.1.2' did not match any file(s) known to git.
### So:
git checkout

# Install Solr configuration
### We're missing a bunch of subdirectories that we never explicitly created.
### We've got /opt/panda and /opt/solr
### but no /opt/solr/panda
### and no /opt/solr/panda/solr
mkdir /opt/solr/panda
mkdir /opt/solr/panda/solr

# Setup Postgres
###cp $CONFIG_PATH/pg_hba.conf /etc/postgresql/9.1/main/pg_hba.conf
cp $CONFIG_PATH/pg_hba.conf /etc/postgresql/9.3/main/pg_hba.conf
service postgresql restart

# Install Python requirements
### This calls for some specific versions that are rather dated and may . I'm not messing with it. Now.
pip install -r requirements.txt

Joe Germuska

Jul 9, 2015, 11:22:25 AM7/9/15
to panda-pro...@googlegroups.com
It would be great to upgrade the base OS for PANDA. I made a GitHub issue. https://github.com/pandaproject/panda/issues/950

Don't have time to help just right now, but thought it should be logged...

Joe Germuska
J...@Germuska.com * http://blog.germuska.com

"I felt so good I told the leader how to follow."
-- Sly Stone