Upgrading core PANDA stuff

Mike Stucka

Mar 17, 2016, 3:01:33 PM3/17/16
to panda-pro...@googlegroups.com
The current PANDA virtual machine is set up for Ubuntu 12.04, which goes end-of-life in mid-2017.

Next month Ubuntu 16.04 will be out, and there's a beta now. Moving to that would buy another four years of life for PANDA. First steps would be getting the install script to work with updated dependencies, then setting up 64-bit Amazon images and/or other VM distributions.

I talked with some wonderful folk in Denver; was just talking with Justin Myers on the News Nerdery Slack channel, and he's potentially interested in helping.

Any interest in making this happen? Is Slack or another route perhaps a more responsive way of getting this to work? News Nerdery, make a new channel?

I took a quick stab last year at trying to see what would be involved in moving to 14.04, and found a bunch of little stuff. I posted my efforts here:
https://gist.github.com/stucka/5173f1793c673aaf7f9b

I'm looking, and some of the dependencies aren't all that different, numerically speaking; sold I think is 3.4.0 in the PANDA setup, but 3.6.something in the beta Ubuntu version. Postgres 9.1 is with the PANDA set up, but moves to 9.5 in the new Ubuntu. New Ubuntu will be default to Python 3.5, but virtualenv could solve that pretty easily.

Mike

--
26.58584, -80.16876 icbm
“A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.” -- Mitch Ratcliffe

Serdar Tumgoren

Mar 17, 2016, 6:11:09 PM3/17/16
to panda-pro...@googlegroups.com
I can look over Justin's shoulder (he sits not too many virtual desks away from me) and try to pitch in as well. FWIW, we have the stack running in-house on Ubuntu 14.04. As long as we stick to Python 2.7, as you point out, shouldn't be too crazy of a lift. A News Nerdery slack channel is fine with me if it works for others.

Mike Stucka

Mar 18, 2016, 9:37:35 AM3/18/16
to panda-pro...@googlegroups.com
I forgot a couple things:

Docker implementation (?) -- There was some interest in seeing about Docker, perhaps as a substitute to Amazon. I think we should keep Amazon -- especially as that's what I'd plan to use.

Upgrade path -- My guess is the safest way would be to do a 9.1 Postgres dump, upgrade or replace the core OS, and then import into the newer Postgres. IIRC you're supposed to be able to upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04 to 16.04 ... but I seem to recall the 12.04 to 14.04 upgrade route wasn't working for me. Clean OS and SQL import might be the safest.

Static versions vs. OS-upgradable modules -- if part of the point of having a LTS is getting fixes that don't break stuff, we probably ought to steer away from specified versions of solr, Postgres, etc., and go with Ubuntu distributed versions ... ?

Mike