Ubuntu installation issues

Thomas de Lorimier

May 17, 2016, 6:04:21 PM5/17/16
to PANDA Project Users
Hi all,

I'm new to PANDA – and data journalism –, so please forgive me if this question may seem simple.

I followed the advice in the docs to install PANDA "on the old Compaq under your desk".
I installed Ubuntu Server 12.04.5 on an old unused PC in my newsroom; I also installed Ubuntu Server 14.04.4 on another old PC. I ran the setup_panda.sh script on both servers.

Well... after a few tweakings, I got PANDA to work partially on Ubuntu 14.04.4! ...just enough to start testing it with some colleagues and become a huge fan, but unfortunately, not enough to make it work fully (the /admin section is 404).

As for the other server (Ubuntu 12.04.5), when I run this setup script specified in readthedocs, the script freezes after this line :

+ pip install -r requirements.txt

I also tried running this version of the script, which doesn't freeze, but errors start after the same line. Here's a sample (it goes on after that):

+ pip install -r requirements.txt
Downloading/unpacking git+https://github.com/onyxfish/csvkit.git#egg=csvkit (from -r requirements.txt (line 12))

Cloning https://github.com/onyxfish/csvkit.git to /tmp/pip-lfpwDe-build

Running setup.py egg_info for package from git+https://github.com/onyxfish/csvkit.git#egg=csvkit

Downloading/unpacking git+https://github.com/pandaproject/django-tastypie.git#egg=tastypie (from -r requirements.txt (line 13))

Cloning https://github.com/pandaproject/django-tastypie.git to /tmp/pip-SqQ8lI-build

Running setup.py egg_info for package from git+https://github.com/pandaproject/django-tastypie.git#egg=tastypie

Downloading/unpacking git+https://github.com/GoodCloud/django-longer-username.git@e4e85d7d29b2#egg=longerusername (from -r requirements.txt (line 19))

Cloning https://github.com/GoodCloud/django-longer-username.git (to e4e85d7d29b2) to /tmp/pip-ijja1a-build

Could not find a tag or branch 'e4e85d7d29b2', assuming commit.

Running setup.py egg_info for package from git+https://github.com/GoodCloud/django-longer-username.git@e4e85d7d29b2#egg=longerusername

Downloading/unpacking django==1.4.8 (from -r requirements.txt (line 1))

Running setup.py egg_info for package django

Downloading/unpacking fabric==1.2.2 (from -r requirements.txt (line 2))

Running setup.py egg_info for package fabric

    warning
: no previously-included files matching '*' found under directory 'docs/_build'
    warning
: no files found matching 'fabfile.py'
Downloading/unpacking psycopg2==2.4.1 (from -r requirements.txt (line 3))

Running setup.py egg_info for package psycopg2

    warning
: no files found matching '*.html' under directory 'doc'
    warning
: no files found matching '*.js' under directory 'doc'
    warning
: no files found matching '*' under directory 'doc/html'

no previously-included directories found matching 'doc/src/_build'
    warning
: no files found matching 'MANIFEST'

## (etc...)

Has anyone in the group ever tried to install PANDA on an old PC?
Does anyone have ideas or advice on troubleshooting these installation issues?

Cheers,
Thomas

p.s. : If/when I get PANDA up and running fully, I may be interested in contributing eventually to a French translation. I'll post another topic in the group for that soon, hopefully.

Thomas de Lorimier

May 20, 2016, 11:59:29 AM5/20/16
to PANDA Project Users
I found a fix and successfully installed PANDA on our old dusty PC running Ubuntu 12.04!
I will report back later...

Thomas de Lorimier

Mar 22, 2017, 5:06:37 PM3/22/17
to PANDA Project Users

I'm reporting back :

Last month, I successfully installed a second PANDA on another old dusty PC in my newsroom. The last changes Joe made to requirements.txt on github seem to have fixed problems I experienced earlier. So, thanks a lot for this!

This time, I only had to do a few things before running setup_panda.sh to make sure the script did not fail. I'll leave this here as a note to anyone who tries to do what I did.

  • Installed a clean/fresh version of Ubuntu server 12.04.5 LTS from a burned server install CD

sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install build-essential libssl-dev libffi-dev python-dev

  • Ran sudo bash setup_panda.sh --> 10 minutes later, voilà! A new PANDA is alive and well.

    Merci!

    Thomas