High PageSpeed Insights Score vs. Page Load Time

Ron Seigel

Aug 16, 2016, 12:24:37 PM8/16/16
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Hi all,

Like a lot of others here I've been obsessing over PageSpeed Insights scores and squeezing it every so higher.

So, I finally managed to hit 98 for mobile and 98 for desktop. No way to do better as the last 2 issues are Google Analytics and a service that we use to detect click fraud.

We use this particular domain ONLY for AdWords landing pages.

Here's an example page that I've been testing:

The problem is that I have a 15.2 second loading time (I've inlined all CSS at the bottom of the page among other things).

There's one cache file that's taking around 15 second to load.

The page itself looks fine to the viewer in under a second (tiny flash as the CSS catches up to the rest of the page).

The question I have is this.....

For AdWords, is the PageSpeed score more important or is that load time going to kill me?

Thanks for any help that anyone can offer.

Cheers,

Ron

Rick Steinwand

Aug 17, 2016, 10:27:14 AM8/17/16
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Your viewport loads fairly fast so I think you'll be OK.

Why not fix some of the low hanging fruit (the easy stuff) here: https://gtmetrix.com/reports/ck1.ca/Cf1iQ00t

Like:

Combining scripts. (Seriously, 17 external scripts?)
Specifying image dimensions

Maybe you can download and host some of the content from this list to reduce DNS lookups:

Ron Seigel

Aug 17, 2016, 11:14:27 AM8/17/16
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Thanks for taking a look Rick.

Totally agree with you on the number of external scripts. One of the pitfalls of using WordPress.

I'll definitely be taking a crack at cutting/combining the number of scripts this beast is calling.

Cheers,

Ron