An error occurred while fetching or analyzing the page. Help

Jonathan Birchmeier

Jul 10, 2017, 3:39:56 PM7/10/17
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Was working on Friday and went to test the speed today and received the "An error occurred while fetching or analyzing the page" message. I have under 200 requests, which I have seen on other posts as a possible cause. I don't believe any changes have been made to the site in since the previous speed tests. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Other metric sites (GTmetrix, pingdom, ect) all are still working normally.

Thanks,
Jon
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jonathan Birchmeier

Jul 11, 2017, 9:06:31 AM7/11/17

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 3:39:56 PM UTC-4, Jonathan Birchmeier wrote:
Was working on Friday and went to test the speed today and received the "An error occurred while fetching or analyzing the page" message. I have under 200 requests, which I have seen on other posts as a possible cause. I don't believe any changes have been made to the site in since the previous speed tests. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Other metric sites (GTmetrix, pingdom, ect) all are still working normally.

obr...@google.com

Jul 11, 2017, 10:29:13 AM7/11/17
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Hi Jonathan, it looks like the url https://brightonhealthysmiles.com
points to a different site, which doesn't seem right... and may be the reason this is happening.

Jonathan Birchmeier

Jul 11, 2017, 4:39:38 PM7/11/17
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
If that is the case and reason why it won't work, how do I correct it? I don't believe it is something that we set up.

Jan Jaap Hakvoort

Jul 19, 2017, 4:15:47 AM7/19/17
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Hi Jon,

I am the author of the Above The Fold Optimization plugin.

The issue started recently and is related to the use of the HTML5 script loader + little-loader option in the Above The Fold Optimization plugin.

The HTML5 script loader has been working stable on 20,000 websites for over 6 months without a single complaint and some of my old clients, such as insurance companies, have dedicated website teams that look at every tiny detail of the website and every little aspect that doesn't work 'perfect' for any of their potential high value customers is discovered and fixed. They have been using the HTML5 script loader for 6 months.

The issue is clearly with Google PageSpeed Insights. The Google PageSpeed Insight test worked consistently well before. The error started to occur suddenly. The Above The Fold plugin hasn't been updated for 6 months so it can't be the reason.

We have no idea what the cause could be. The www.GTMetrix.com test works fine for example. I would expect that the official test from Google is more robust than the GTMetrix test. And even more so, if there is a technical issue, that Google would inform the website owner with a quality service message instead of "unknown error". It's not to be expected that Google would not foresee a technical issue and report to their customers "we don't know what to do".

The 20,000 people who use the Above The Fold Optimization plugin use Google PageSpeed Insights intensively. They are the main customers for the test, website owners with passion for website performance / Google PageSpeed compliance.

We are investigating the issue but it appears that the cause is not related to the HTML5 script loader that works reliable and stable in all browsers, including Internet Explorer 8.

If you have any feedback or questions related to the issue, our team can be reached at in...@pagespeed.pro.

Otto van der Schaaf

Jul 19, 2017, 4:29:51 AM7/19/17
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
The common name in the SSL cert has a subtle typo, I think it's worth trying again after installing a valid SSL cert for the domain.

Otto

Jonathan Birchmeier

Jul 19, 2017, 8:45:30 AM7/19/17
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Thank you for the responses.

Otto - I will try and remedy the SSL cert typo and see if that helps. It just seems odd if I change the setting to only "little loader" google page speed functions normally. So if it is the SSL cert error it must be with how the HTML5 loader, the SSL cert and google page speed interacts.

Jan - I appreciate all the work you have put into the plugin, as it has greatly helped in optimizing our website. I am just trying to figure out if it is something on my end, a setting within the app or a Google Page Speed conflict. It sounds as though you haven't had any other complaints of similar issues and all other metric sites I have used work normally, so I will continue troubleshooting on my end. If you have any thoughts on what the HTML5 could be in conflict with (SSL cert, alternative plugins, ect) they would be greatly appreciated.

Jan Jaap

Jul 20, 2017, 4:55:55 AM7/20/17
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Hi Jonathan,

There appears to be no severe issues with the HTML. There are just 3 HTML errors which are minor (browser-rendering will not be impacted).

https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brightonhealthysmiles.com%2F

Currently, the website has no SSL certificate configured. To test the quality of the SSL installation you can use the test by SSLLabs.com. https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/ If SSLLabs reports an A/A+ score, the installation is reliable.

The Google PageSpeed Insights error appears to be specifically related to the Above The Fold Optimization plugin and in specific the setting "HTML5 script loader + little loader". This feature has been stable and unchanged for 6 months and it is in use by 20,000 websites.

The technical cause of the error is unknown. There appears to be no issue with the HTML5 script loader. The script loader is compatible with old browsers, including Internet Explorer 8.

Currently, in essence, the error is displayed specifically when the Above The Fold Optimization plugin is enabled. Of course it could be an accident that already endures for 2 weeks, but considering the fact that 20,000 websites use the plugin and are actively using the PageSpeed Insight test, an "unknown error" response is
notable.

The intend of the plugin is to help websites to achieve Google PageSpeed compliance and to obtain benefit for SEO on the basis of website quality. If Google would be an enemy seeking to destroy the plugin, then our natural advise is to not use the plugin.

We simply focus on quality. Once the credo of Google is "do no evil". For now we therefor consider it a bug in the Google PageSpeed Insight test.

Besides 20,000 users, many top engineers have looked at the HTML5 script loader that is based on a proof of concept by a Google engineer (basket.js by Addy Osmani). If anything would be wrong with it, there would have been feedback during the past 6 months.

We have made an attempt to get feedback via this forum and hope that it may result in feedback / information about the exact origin of the issue. If there is more information that could be relevant to your website, I will reply to this topic.

Regarding your website. There are javascript errors that may be caused by async loading of javascript.

A solution may be to encapsulate scripts in jQuery(function(){ /* SCRIPT CODE */ }); so that the scripts are started when the HTML document is fully loaded.

The GTMetrix PageSpeed score is 97/100. A remaining severe issue is that the website loads 24 independent scripts. It may be an option to combine the scripts into 1 using the plugin Autoptimize. When you select the option "include inline scripts" from Autoptimize, the javascript errors may also be resolved without the encapsulation solution.

Op woensdag 19 juli 2017 14:45:30 UTC+2 schreef Jonathan Birchmeier:
Thank you for the responses.

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Leslie Gray

Aug 2, 2017, 8:26:47 PM8/2/17
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
I have siteground hosting my wordpress site. I loaded cloudflare and that seems to be the factor. I have to wait till cloudflare has approved my site or something with in 24 hours then I will retest. Not sure of the whys but I am learning. as I go, my web is www.communityacupuncturewest.com
Leslie

Jan Jaap

Aug 30, 2017, 1:11:19 AM8/30/17
to pagespeed-insights-discuss

It appears that the latest update v2.8.x has resolved the issue. The 2.8.x version has a client source code that has been compressed and optimized using Google Closure Compiler. The HTML5 script loader did not change.