server location

Cedric Perrot

Jul 21, 2017, 4:08:14 AM7/21/17
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
there is no mention where the servers are that are testing the sites. which impacts the test hugely.

more transparency would be great.

Yoichiro Takehora

Jul 21, 2017, 7:09:53 AM7/21/17
to pagespeed-ins...@googlegroups.com
Hello Cedric-san,

Google Page Speed Insights doesn't measure exact web performance little or nothing.
It checks how much a site go along with best practice for rendering point of view.

Please take a look at following link.
https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/insights/about?hl=en

> Please note that PageSpeed Insights is being continually improved, to account for new performance best practices, and the provided score will change over time. A high score is correlated with a fast user experience but does not guarantee it.

If you want to measure the web performance precisely including network effect, I recommend you to use synthetic monitoring service, like Catchpoint, Dynatrace and so on.

Tak
> --

Yoichiro Takehora <yoic...@takehora.jp>

Carlos Lizaga Anadon

Jul 27, 2017, 3:38:46 PM7/27/17
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Hi Cedric,

Just to add more background on Yoichiro's answer, which is really accurate that due to the nature of the vast net, there might be some server locations and / or DNS resolutions that might be interpreted as a poor first-byte deliver.
In other words, having a lot of latency might be considered as a bad server response which lowers the score at some level.

Best,
Carlos.