"Avoid landing page redirects" first redirect chain url doesn't redirect anywhere

Andrew Hall

Mar 19, 2018, 7:31:51 AM3/19/18
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Hi,

I've recently moved my site to https, and there now seems to be a new issue in the tester saying to avoid landing page redirects. It's saying that https://www.purestaff.co.uk/?sccss=1&ver=4.6.10 redirects to http://www.purestaff.co.uk/ which then redirects to https://www.purestaff.co.uk/ however when I actually visit https://www.purestaff.co.uk/?sccss=1&ver=4.6.10, it doesn't redirect anywhere. I've also tested the url in https://httpstatus.io/ and it's coming up as status code 200. Is this an issue that anyone else has had?

Many Thanks,
Andrew

Rick Steinwand

Mar 19, 2018, 8:00:46 AM3/19/18
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Did you test with a mobile browser? Try using https://www.webpagetest.org/

GTmetrix is great too. https://gtmetrix.com

Andrew Hall

Mar 19, 2018, 8:22:36 AM3/19/18
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Hi Rick, thanks for getting back to me. I did try GTmetrix this morning but there was a queue of 700 other websites, although I've just tried it now and it seems to test the site normally. GTmetrix is saying that redirects are minimized, which is different to what the Pagespeed Tester is saying.
I also tested the site in webpagetest.org and it's saying https://www.purestaff.co.uk/?sccss=1&ver=4.6.10 is status code 200 as well, so it seems very strange how one tester is saying it's a redirect and another isn't.
I've also crawled the website in Screaming Frog and it's saying that url is a redirect, which is even stranger as depending on where the url is being tested it's coming up as either a 200 or 301.

Rick Steinwand

Mar 19, 2018, 9:29:58 AM3/19/18
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
No reason to wait for 700 other sites. Pick a different site to test from under Analysis Options in GTmetrix.

Most of these sites either use the PSI API or an older version of PSI as part of their analysis engine.