Google Pagespeed Insights preview window is blank, and analysis fails (shows 100%)

Andrew Welch

Aug 15, 2016, 6:39:14 PM8/15/16
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
I have several sites that pass WC3 validation, but when I run them through Google Pagespeed Insights, the rendered webpage previews are blank, and the scores are all 100%.  Example URLs:

The same websites render properly and pass the mobile usability tests:

What's going on here?  Some temporary issue with Google Pagespeed Insights?

Again, the pages pass the WC3 Validator:

Andrew Welch

Aug 15, 2016, 7:11:32 PM8/15/16
to pagespeed-insights-discuss

Alex R

Aug 16, 2016, 7:16:39 AM8/16/16
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
I have exactly the same problem! It was only reading your post that i've realised that the one site i have that is having this problem (100/100 score and blank screen) is on a digital ocean + serverpilot setup. My other sites are on digital ocean without serverpilot, and they work fine (proper reporting, screenshots visible and so on).

I also get a normal result with mobile usability test on the DO + SP setup, so its just pagespeed insights that is having problems.

Could it be the specific NGINX reverse proxy setup for apache that causes this, or something else within Serverpilots setup? my gut feeling is on the later as that nginx + apache combo is likely fairly popular and i've seen very little mention of others with this issue.

I'll email serverpilot and see if i get anything back from them.

Alex R

Aug 16, 2016, 1:06:10 PM8/16/16
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
To follow up on this, i received the following back from Server Pilot:

Google Pagespeed Insights has bugs with showing preview images when a server supports Brotli compression.

Additionally, they're oddly sending "Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate,br" for plain HTTP requests, not just HTTPS requests. This isn't very useful since no browsers currently intend to support Brotli over plain HTTP. However, that's probably unrelated to the preview bug since the previews aren't working over HTTPS, either.

Here's a site that supports Brotli that doesn't use ServerPilot (at least as far as I know).

https://community.centminmod.com/

It also has a blank preview image on the Google Pagespeed Insights:

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.centminmod.com%2F

Please feel free to share this info with the Google Pagespeed Insights team.

So the brottli issue seems to be the root cause as discussed here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/pagespeed-insights-discuss/vF38OUUpsys  (which i can see Andrew you link back to here at the bottom of that thread :) )

Mushan Yang

Aug 18, 2016, 9:32:31 AM8/18/16
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
This is now fixed. Thanks for the feedback!

Alex R

Aug 23, 2016, 7:01:09 AM8/23/16
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Fantastic - thanks Mushan! I can confirm its all working as expected now :)

Makaan

May 8, 2017, 3:20:28 PM5/8/17
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Hi Mushan Yang. Can you please tell me how this was fixed? I have the same problem. 100% score, blank screen.

See IMAGE.

I have an nginx server serving content on my DEV site, and I just wanted to see how it is performing. So decided to run PageSpeed insights on it.

Please help me.