Inconsistent and contradictary results

Nathan Pearson

Jun 17, 2016, 2:57:36 AM6/17/16
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
I've been testing two different implementations of my site to comply with Google's PageSpeed Insights.

This page get 85/100 in mobile, and only about 52% of the final above-the-fold content could be rendered with the full HTML response:

Here this page gets 91/100 in mobile, and only about 10% of the final above-the-fold content could be rendered with the HTML delivered within 2 round-trips:

It seems that the page that renders less content should get a lower score. Why then is the lower score assigned to the page that renders more content?

Rick Steinwand

Jun 17, 2016, 10:52:54 AM6/17/16
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
The problem comes from too much content having to be downloaded to render the visible page on a mobile device. Ideally it'll only take one request (round trip) to display that.

I got rid of the warning on one page by moving an image down a couple lines on the page.

If you need those images on your mobile pages, you'll have to take the hit (or make them lower resolution).

If you get this error on a lot of your pages, you should rethink your layout or what you're loading in the <head> that could be loaded later (befor </body>).

Nathan Pearson

Jun 17, 2016, 11:19:44 AM6/17/16
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
So I guess that's why I'm confused. On the version that took one round trip and rendered 52% got a lower score than the version that needed 2 round trips, and only rendered 10%.

Seems the higher score should go to the one that took fewer round trips and rendered more. Am I wrong?

Rick Steinwand

Jun 20, 2016, 7:51:58 AM6/20/16
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Different content. You can't simplify it that much.