Why pagespeed insights not working in private internet / corporate environment ?

Prajeesh Kayyur

Jun 30, 2014, 3:58:19 AM6/30/14
to pagespeed-ins...@googlegroups.com
PageSpeed browser extensions works in private internet / corporate environment but pagespeed insights command line tool not working in private internet / corporate environment. I have installed psi and ran "psi http://www.mysite.com --nokey --strategy=desktop" (my local box website) giving me correct result. Turned off my internet and ran it again, there is no results, Nothing displaying( only i can see : Running Pagespeed Insights). Is it required internet connection?

Can I test private/ corporate websites using pagespeed insights?

Thanks in advance
Prajeesh

Carlos Lizaga Anadon

Jun 30, 2014, 7:11:21 AM6/30/14
to pagespeed-ins...@googlegroups.com
Pagespeed insights needs internet to work as it's a web app.

Regards.

Miguel García Sánchez - Colomer

Jun 30, 2014, 11:33:10 AM6/30/14
to pagespeed-ins...@googlegroups.com
Maybe you can use the Chrome extension...

Carlos Lizaga Anadon

Jun 30, 2014, 11:37:45 AM6/30/14
to pagespeed-ins...@googlegroups.com
PageSpeed browser extensions works in private internet / corporate environment...

Prajeesh Kayyur

Jul 1, 2014, 1:40:47 AM7/1/14
to pagespeed-ins...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! I can use browser extension. Actually I wanted to run this with my build servers which is in corporate environment. Do we have any documentation for how this tests are running? I mean, is it running in google server or running in local node server? Is there any way to run PSI in private internet?

Thanks,
Prajeesh

Miguel García Sánchez - Colomer

Jul 1, 2014, 2:37:28 AM7/1/14
to pagespeed-ins...@googlegroups.com
The PSI Chrome extension only will execute in your local pc. With PSI in a local PC you can test the speed of any URL in your corporate network (if firewall allows it).

Best Regards,

Miguel.

Prajeesh Kayyur

Jul 1, 2014, 3:24:46 AM7/1/14
to pagespeed-ins...@googlegroups.com

I tried to execute local URL it is not giving me any results. I can load that private urls in browser in our corporate network but I cannot run the test against those urls.

Also I have created a local domain in my host file and tested the site with and without internet.

With out internet:
blr-valappip-m:~ valappip$ psi http://www.mysite.com --nokey --strategy=desktop
Running Pagespeed Insights
blr-valappip-m:~ valappip$

With internet:
blr-valappip-m:~ valappip$ psi http://www.mysite.com --nokey --strategy=desktop
Running Pagespeed Insights
Pagespeed Insights: Processing results

Strategy: desktop
Score:    66

Number Resources                                 | 18
Number Hosts                                     | 5
Total Request                                    | 1.25 kB
Number Static Resources                          | 16
Html Response                                    | 14.04 kB
Css Response                                     | 125.34 kB
Image Response                                   | 251.87 kB
Javascript Response                              | 220.89 kB
Number Js Resources                              | 6
Number Css Resources                             | 3

Avoid Landing Page Redirects                     | 0
Enable Gzip Compression                          | 19.69
Leverage Browser Caching                         | 7.5
Main Resource Server Response Time               | 0
Minify Css                                       | 0.12
Minify HTML                                      | 0.12
Minify Java Script                               | 0
Minimize Render Blocking Resources               | 20
Optimize Images                                  | 3.06
Prioritize Visible Content                       | 2

Conclusion: I believe tests are running in google server and the server cannot access my urls. Please share if you have the documentation for how tests are running. Also the urls are accessible through the browser so I don't think there is a firewall issue.

Thanks,
Prajeesh

Carlos Lizaga Anadon

Jul 1, 2014, 10:12:33 AM7/1/14
to pagespeed-ins...@googlegroups.com
Also the urls are accessible through the browser so I don't think there is a firewall issue.

Firewall may block internet  but no ethernet if configured wisely, which is what most companies do. You will have to stick with Chrome browser extension or just use any other tools server-side and client-side to check how's the performance and so.

Prajeesh Kayyur

Jul 2, 2014, 8:34:42 AM7/2/14
to pagespeed-ins...@googlegroups.com

Is there any documentation available for how the tests are actually running?

Carlos Lizaga Anadon

Jul 2, 2014, 9:42:11 AM7/2/14
to pagespeed-ins...@googlegroups.com
https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/insights/rules

Those are the guidelines which should be fair enough to boost your web pages.

Regards.

Prajeesh Kayyur

Jul 3, 2014, 2:50:08 AM7/3/14
to pagespeed-ins...@googlegroups.com

Thank you!. These are the rules for the performance improvements. I just wanted to know how this tests are actually running.

Thanks,
Prajeesh

Carlos Lizaga Anadon

Jul 3, 2014, 12:16:53 PM7/3/14
to pagespeed-ins...@googlegroups.com
Don't really think that it's known as it isn't open source? Maybe a dev can help more.

Prajeesh Kayyur

Jul 4, 2014, 2:21:08 AM7/4/14
to pagespeed-ins...@googlegroups.com

Thanks a lot Carlos Lizaga Anadon , If you get more information on this please share here.

Prajeesh

Amit tiwari

Sep 22, 2017, 5:03:56 AM9/22/17
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Hi Prajeesh,

Have you got any resolution for this (to run PSI Test for a private URL ) , even i am facing the same issue , any suggestions would be meaningful here .
There are some google API's through , by creating a key and appending into the requested URL we can access those API's allowing the server to identify , correct me if my understanding , the problem is i am not able to implement this correctly .
Since you have been discussing the same stuff here , thought to share the problem statement here .

Regards
Amit