...blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.

Genaro Rabe

Jul 28, 2015, 9:53:34 PM7/28/15
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Found by pagespeed insights on my site and I don't know how to go about this, can you please help me?

Your page has 5 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.
None of the above-the-fold content on your page could be rendered without waiting for the following resources to load. Try to defer or asynchronously load blocking resources, or inline the critical portions of those resources directly in the HTML.

Inger Eik

Jul 29, 2015, 4:56:51 AM7/29/15
to pagespeed-ins...@googlegroups.com
First compress your css files.
Maybe you can also combine them to one file.
Then pick out the css bits that concerns the beginning of the page, like logo, heading font, width, backgound colour etc, and stick that into the head of the html document(s).
Then, and this is recommended by Google, but the page will never validate,  link the css files to the bottom of your page, even after the closing body or html tag.

I have in some cases done this, and the page speed improves, but the css rules will kick in after the page has loaded, so visitors will see the page "in raw" at first. It seems to me that you have to choose between a fast loading page, or one that validates, you can't have both apparently.

Inger

Rick Steinwand

Aug 7, 2015, 11:02:42 AM8/7/15
to pagespeed-insights-discuss