Update on PageSpeed Insights Chrome extension

Bryan McQuade

May 14, 2015, 10:45:15 AM5/14/15
to pagespeed-ins...@googlegroups.com
Hello PageSpeed users,

We recently decided to deprecate the PageSpeed Insights Chrome extension. The online version of PageSpeed Insights at http://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/ contains the most up to date analysis, and we've been encouraging users to prefer it over the Chrome extension for a while now.

We evaluated trying to update the Chrome extension's analysis to match the online version, but determined that it was a large amount of work, so we've decided to deprecate the extension.

If you are currently using PageSpeed Insights for Chrome, you can continue to do so, but we won't be issuing any more updates and can't guarantee that it will continue to work in upcoming versions of Chrome.

Thanks,
Bryan and the PageSpeed team

Matt Richmond

Jul 1, 2015, 1:31:17 AM7/1/15
to pagespeed-ins...@googlegroups.com
Any ideas how to optimize locally-developed sites if we don't have the extension in Chrome?

Harry van der horst

Jul 1, 2015, 6:51:18 PM7/1/15
to pagespeed-ins...@googlegroups.com
thanks for many years of good service.
All good things end.
harry

met hartelijke groeten/kind regards
harry van der Horst
M 0031643016999

Garrett Hampton

Jul 22, 2015, 2:43:36 PM7/22/15
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Dealing with this as well.  Used to run Insights while developing locally.  Old Chrome extension would easily allow me to get an optimized version of an image as well (something the online tool does not).

I miss the Chrome extension!!

Caleb Queern

Aug 3, 2015, 11:24:39 AM8/3/15
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Bryan and the PageSpeed team,

Thank you for your hard work over the years on the PageSpeed Insights Chrome extension!

FWIW, one of my favorite features of the Chrome extension was its ability to generate automagically minified versions of CSS and JS. I know there are other tools around that can do this, but it was great to have it made available so close at hand within the PSI context. Perhaps someday the online version of PageSpeed Insights might offer this functionality too.

All the best, and we appreciate all you guys' efforts!

Caleb