Google prevents us from a good result :(

MF

Jul 24, 2017, 4:56:15 AM7/24/17
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Dear all

We got the advice to reduce the JavaScript and the CSS resources. The listed scripts are Google Maps and Google fonts API.
Further, we got the advice to use browser caching but also here is the problem base on the Google Services.

Please let me know if anybody knows how to improve our test result. Thank you very much!!!

Best regards
Marco
Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-24 um 10.52.59.png

Carlos Lizaga Anadon

Jul 27, 2017, 3:15:51 PM7/27/17
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Hi Marco,

I'm afraid that there's not a practical solution for this.
While this tool is designed by Google, it's not being selective of the nature of the conflict. In other words, it's a bad practice to load resources with short expiration time so it's just pointing you that you've got 3 scripts that fail on that general rule.

My advice here is the following: ignore the recommendation and improve everything else that you can actually improve.

Just if you're really sure about what you're doing, there's a workaround that may work in some cases. I don't recommend it though but it's up to you.
You can save some of those scripts on your remote server and instead of pointing to google's ones use yours with a longer expiration time.
Again, I'd just let it go and keep using google scripts as is and improve other aspects of the site.

Best regards,
Carlos.

MF

Jul 27, 2017, 3:39:38 PM7/27/17
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Hi Carlos

Thank you very much for the answer!

We optimized every possible point on the list. For further optimizations, a redesign would be needed and this is not up to us.
Very sad to get a bad result because of using Google services. I hope the tool itself will be optimized soon.

Thank you again & best regards
Marco

Devnuhl Unnamed

Aug 1, 2017, 10:46:22 AM8/1/17
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
If having something expire in 2 hours is not the best practice, perhaps Google should not have their analytics expire in 2h. If it changed multiple times throughout the day, it would be one thing, but surely Google could at least have it expire at 1 day instead of 2 hours. Even 8-12 hours would probably be enough, and account for any given workday.

Carlos Lizaga Anadon

Aug 1, 2017, 11:59:39 AM8/1/17
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
Hi Devnuhl,

I am pretty sure that Google knows the expiration time needed for their own scripts and that there's more than a single reason to justify it's expiration time to 1-2 hours (sometimes it's even shorter).
There must be a balance between performance and stability.

IE: Having a fix on google analytics would have terrible impact on some metrics until the new file fixed is downloaded.

For sure Google knows how much time of malfunction is acceptable when it comes to fix an issue on any of their scripts and this is specified in the expiration time.
The same will happen with some other 3rd party scripts.

Best,
Carlos.