Packrat project on network folder on windows

Pete Thompson

Jan 3, 2018, 12:46:04 PM1/3/18
to packrat-discuss
Is it supported to store a Packrat project on a network folder? I'm getting errors when I enable Packrat in my project along the lines of:

Warning message:
In Sys.junction(from, to) :
  cannot set reparse point 'R:/Packrat projects/xxx/packrat/lib-R/base', reason 'Incorrect function'

I'm thinking this is caused by Packrat attempting to symlink my system packages and Windows is refusing because we're attempting to create a junction on a network folder that points to a local folder. I may have that completely wrong, but seems a possible explanation.

I know that storing the project on a network folder is somewhat unusual given that the idea of using Packrat is that each user can have the own local installation with the appropriate set of packages, but in this case I'm hoping to use Packrat to provide a simple central place where many users can execute a set of scripts without downloading to their local machines - the intention is that users can't update the scripts (they'd be developed somewhere else and published to the network drive).

Jason Miller

Aug 24, 2018, 1:54:29 PM8/24/18
to packrat-discuss
I get different errors, but I don't think it's working on Windows network drives? If so, that's pretty major, is there no official comment from RStudio on this?