packrat and MRAN package RevoUtilsMath

Michael Beyeler

Jan 31, 2018, 8:09:17 AM1/31/18
to packrat-discuss
I have been testing packrat for improving reproducibility.

Using CRAN, everything works fine, but I am using MRAN for some project because of the multithreading that is enabled through RevoUtilsMath that you can get from MRAN.

The thing is, as soon as I try to load RevoUtilsMath, the script run is aborted, with the error:

Warning in install.packages :
  package ‘RevoUtilsMath’ is not available (for R version 3.4.3)

and then

Error in FUN(X[[i]], ...) : RevoUtilsMath Package not found

Any users here who use MRAN that know what to do?

Greetings

Kevin Ushey

Jan 31, 2018, 1:31:26 PM1/31/18
to Michael Beyeler, packrat-discuss
This looks like it could be an incompatibility between Packrat and
Microsoft R Open. If I understand correctly, the 'RevoUtilsMath'
package is not actually available on MRAN (or any other CRAN
repository); rather, it's only available in Microsoft R Open
installations.

Packrat does some sandboxing wherein it attempts to symlink (or
junction) base R packages from the system library folder to a
`packrat/lib-R` folder; however, this step misses the MRO packages.
(This is primarily because they are not declared with 'base' priority;
Packrat only copies 'base' priority packages from the system library
into that folder)

Can you file an issue on https://github.com/rstudio/packrat/issues?
Particularly with a small reproducible example if at all possible?

marti...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2019, 8:03:47 PM1/31/19
to packrat-discuss
Hello,
has this issue been solved on github? I ran into the same issue when trying to use packrat. I am on Microsoft R Open but a colleague who tried to use my project, could not load it without encountering the error mentioned above.

I tried to set these MRAN specific packages to be external, i.e. RevoUtils, RevoUtilsMath were set as external packages but this did not solve the issue.

Thank you for any suggestions.