packrat and package development

Erik Iverson

Jun 21, 2014, 12:28:41 AM6/21/14
to packrat...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

The current documentation for packrat mentions working on R 'projects' extensively, which I interpret to mean data analyses that you'd like to ensure remain reproducible in the short and long term. That's a great concept, but I'm wondering if packrat is useful for R package development, as a sort of replacement for the Description file's Depends/Imports keywords? As more and more packages spring up on Github and not necessarily on CRAN, it seems it would be useful to be able to specify that Github PackageA that I'm working on depends on another Github PackageB and I'm working on and Github PackageC that a colleague is working on. I've got to study the docs more, but perhaps when PackageC is updated, there are options to either keep up the PackageA library up-to-date with the latest PackageC commit, or specify a particular commit of PackageC to depend on.

Thanks!
--Erik

Kevin Ushey

Jun 24, 2014, 7:05:08 PM6/24/14
to packrat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erik,

This is definitely something we want to add into Packrat, but there is still a ways to go -- more R package support is something we hope to tackle in the next release.

Best,
Kevin

David Parr

Jan 18, 2017, 11:34:48 AM1/18/17
to packrat-discuss
Does anyone know if this has been done? I haven't spotted anything in the current documentation yet.