Rebuilding packages after an os x upgrade

Yasmin Lucero

Jun 11, 2015, 1:11:12 PM6/11/15
to packrat...@googlegroups.com
I was subjected to a forced os x upgrade yesterday (mavericks -> yosemite). I am now opening up my packrat projects that were built under mavericks. I don't see any obvious way that packrat detects that I have change os, and thus need to rebuild any packages with source. (Doesn't it need to do that? Nothing has actually broken for me yet, but I believe it needs to rebuild under the new os).

I am just going to delete the lib directory and rebuild from source. But, I thought I would register a request for a feature here.

cheers, yasmin

Kevin Ushey

Jun 11, 2015, 1:17:36 PM6/11/15
to Yasmin Lucero, packrat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yasmin,

When upgrading from Mavericks to Yosemite, you shouldn't need to recompile packages built from source (although it would still be prudent to).

The biggest OS X change was with the switch from Snow Leopard to Mavericks -- with that change, the default compiler on OS X changed from 'gcc' to 'clang', and this caused a large number of headaches everywhere (since things built with 'gcc' did not work with things built with 'clang').

Since both Mavericks and Yosemite both provide and use 'clang' by default, you shouldn't see any of the same issues as before.

That said, I agree that packrat should be doing some more to track the current operating system as well and provide these kinds of warnings / messages when appropriate.

Thanks,
Kevin

Joe Cheng

Jun 11, 2015, 1:20:58 PM6/11/15
to Kevin Ushey, Yasmin Lucero, packrat...@googlegroups.com
When installing binaries from CRAN, the same binaries are used for Mavericks and Yosemite--based on that can we say that you don't need to recompile between those particular versions?