Installing Packrat into arbitrary folders

Aurélien Mazurie

May 18, 2016, 10:40:30 PM5/18/16
to packrat-discuss
Hi guys,
Packrat is a great idea, and a big step toward reproducibility in science (although being able to manage and select among multiple versions of R, similar to pyenv for Python, rbenv for Ruby, rsvm for Rust, etc. would be needed to really achieve this).

I am wondering however if Packrat could be made a bit more flexible in terms of folders. Looking at the source code, the install path is pretty much hardcoded to be in <project folder>/packrat/. What I would like is a way to set it to any arbitrary sub-folder, such as <project folder>/.packrat/ so that it is not visible or in the way when working on the project (similar to, say RStudio with its .Rproj.user folder, Git with its .git folder or Mercurial for its .hg folder).

I thought that something like `setwd("my_project"); packrat::init(".packrat")` would do it, but it seems to expect that `my_project/.packrat` will be the root of the project folder rather than `my_project`. For example, the .Rprofile is placed in `my_project/.packrat` rather than in `my_project`.

Best,
Aurélien

Kevin Ushey

May 25, 2016, 2:11:28 PM5/25/16
to Aurélien Mazurie, packrat-discuss
Hi Aurélien,

Unfortunately, this is not implemented yet, but we do have plans to do so.

Thanks,
Kevin