No Description file at path

Joseph Flanagan

Mar 14, 2016, 7:09:39 AM3/14/16
to packrat-discuss
Hi,

Sorry to keep being a pain. I wasn't sure whether this would be of use to anyone or not.

I stared getting these errors:

```No DESCRIPTION file at path '/Users/josephflanagan/Downloads/jflanaga-d2-e-proceedings-b2d513092cca/packrat/lib/x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0/3.2.4/lazyeval/DESCRIPTION'!```

I've figured out what I need to do to fix it. First, I have to close the project and then reopen. Then, I install whatever package I get this error for (on this machine, it is pretty consistently `lazyeval` and `dplyr`. Then packrat::restore() works fine (the packages I added get ignored).

I noticed that versions of `dplyr` and `lazyeval` I have in the packrat library are the github versions (as is the packrat version). So I downgraded them to CRAN, deleted the packrat/lib directories, and opened up the project. Sure enough, everything went smoothly, except for the fact that the automatic restarted didn't boot me into the Packrat library, so I had to close the project and open it again. (and downgrading Packrat to CRAN version didn't solve that problem, but closing and opening a project isn't that big a deal).

As I said, I'm not sure if it is just my own user-error as I try to figure out how packrat works, but I thought I would report it.

Session Info:
R version 3.2.4 (2016-03-10)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0 (64-bit)
Running under: OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite)

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

[1] magrittr_1.5    formatR_1.3     tools_3.2.4     yaml_2.1.13
[5] stringi_1.0-1   knitr_1.12.3    stringr_1.0.0   packrat_0.4.6-1

Kevin Ushey

Mar 14, 2016, 9:47:35 PM3/14/16
to Joseph Flanagan, packrat-discuss
Hi Joseph,

This is pretty surprising to me -- it implies that somehow, a version
of these packages without a DESCRIPTION file is getting installed and
finding its way into your library. (Or, for some reason, that
DESCRIPTION file is getting deleted?)

Were you using the latest version of packrat on GitHub when you saw
these errors? Were you running within RStudio, or in a different
environment? Do you by any chance have multiple R processes running
with the same packrat project?

Thanks,
Kevin

Joseph Flanagan

Mar 15, 2016, 1:29:59 AM3/15/16
to packrat-discuss
I was using the latest GitHub versions of all the packages, working in RStudio (latest version), with no other processes running. As I said, downgrading the packages to those on Cran solved the problem, except the automatic restart Packrat performs doesn't boot me into the packrat library: I need to close and open the project.

(I wouldn't be surprised if it were my own fault: it took me a while to figure out what I was doing