testing a network driver with different buffer layouts

Zoltan Kiss

May 16, 2014, 1:45:56 PM5/16/14
to packe...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm looking for a way to test our netback/netfront drivers with various
buffer layouts, and I'm interested to see whether packetdrill can be
used for that purpose.
These drivers are used in Xen based systems to facilitate network
communication between guests and the control domain. Technically
speaking, I want to inject skbs at one end (i.e. call the device's
start_xmit with my skb), and see what turned up on the other end. The
most important things I want to tinker with are the sizes of the linear
buffer and the frags, frag_lists and so on.
Do you think there is a way to  make packetdrill to do that for me
somehow? As far as I see it works on a much higher level, and lives in
the userspace, so I guess it would be a bit hard to specify the exact
buffer layouts from there.

Regards,

Zoltan Kiss

Neal Cardwell

May 16, 2014, 3:07:33 PM5/16/14
to Zoltan Kiss, packe...@googlegroups.com
Agreed. I don't think packetdrill would work well for your purposes.
It sounds like you want an in-kernel tool so that you can construct
arbitrary skbs.

Perhaps pktgen?
net/core/pktgen.c
and
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/pktgen.txt

neal

Zoltan Kiss

May 20, 2014, 10:15:18 AM5/20/14
to Neal Cardwell, packe...@googlegroups.com
Yes, thanks, with some modifications it could be used for my purposes!

Zoli