packetdrill source code and USENIX paper

Neal Cardwell

Jul 2, 2013, 3:48:41 PM7/2/13
to packe...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to announce the availability of the packetdrill network stack
testing tool.

The packetdrill scripting tool enables quick, precise tests for entire
TCP/UDP/IPv4/IPv6 network stacks, from the system call layer down to
the NIC hardware. packetdrill currently works on Linux, FreeBSD,
OpenBSD, and NetBSD. It can test network stack behavior over physical
NICs on a LAN, or on a single machine using a tun virtual network
device.

The code is licensed under version 2 of the GPL, and available in a
git repository at:

The USENIX 2013 paper describing the tool and our team's experiences
using it may be found here:

Currently the source for the testing tool is in the git repository. We
will also be posting tests from our team's Linux TCP test suite
(described in the paper), as time permits.

There is a mailing list for questions, discussions and patches:

Enjoy!

subraman...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2013, 1:40:33 AM7/4/13
to packe...@googlegroups.com, ncardwell

On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:48:41 PM UTC-7, Neal Cardwell wrote:
I'd like to announce the availability of the packetdrill network stack
testing tool.

Hi Neal,
Thanks a lot for this sharing this valuable tool.  I am just exploring how to use it and had a  question regarding the script.

 In the example script fr-4pkt-sack-linux.pkt, we have at the end:

// Receiver ACKs all data.
+.1 < . 1:1(0) ack 6001 win 257

The sender however only sends 5000 bytes and I think the ack injected should be for 5001 and not 6001. Acks that acknowledge unsent data will be
discarded by tcp_ack().  This leads to the connection terminating badly with a reset.

Not a major issue but I thought I should let you know since this is the reference script.
Look forward to seeing other test scripts and using this tool.

Thanks!
Vijay

Neal Cardwell

Jul 4, 2013, 9:07:24 AM7/4/13
to Vijay Subramanian, packe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vijay,

Thanks for looking at the tool and catching this typo! Can you please
send a "git format-patch"/"git send-email" patch to the packetdrill
list (with Signed-off-by line) so I know how you'd like your
name/e-mail to be cited in the fix commit?

thanks,
neal

Vijay Subramanian

Jul 4, 2013, 2:19:58 PM7/4/13
to Neal Cardwell, packe...@googlegroups.com
On 4 July 2013 06:07, Neal Cardwell <ncar...@google.com> wrote:
Hi Vijay,

Thanks for looking at the tool and catching this typo! Can you please
send a "git format-patch"/"git send-email" patch to the packetdrill
list (with Signed-off-by line)  so I know how you'd like your
name/e-mail to be cited in the fix commit?

thanks,
neal

Neal,
Sure. I will send it as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks,
Vijay