Re: Am I using packetdrill correctly?

Message has been deleted

Aditya Alurkar

Oct 28, 2014, 5:20:52 PM10/28/14
to packe...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, 28 October 2014 14:20:15 UTC-7, Aditya Alurkar wrote:
I have been attempting to use packetdrill via the following setup:
  • eth1 (staticip1, which is the gw ip) ←→ switch
  • eth2 (staticip2, using staticip1 as gw ip)←→ switch
I have a application that includes an embedded TCP/IP stack which is running is bound to staticip2 port 8100. I initialized the application and tested it as follows:

"telnet staticip2 8100" which was successful.

I ran run_test2.sh (from ../packetdrill/gtests/net/packetdrill/tests/linux) after I tweaked it to use "--wire_server_ip=staticip2 --wire_server_port=8001" the output for the run is attached as appup.out

I shutdown my application and confirmed it via

"telnet staticip2 8100" which timesout.

I reran the  run_test2.sh and its output is attached as appdown.out

When I compared the output files, I was surprised to find very little difference in the output, which seemed counterintuitive since I would have expected more tests to fail when there was nothing listening on staticip2:8001

Am I using the tool as it was meant to be used?

Also does anybody have any additional documentation on what all the different IP options are and how they should be used?

Appreciate any help.

appup.out
appdown.out

Neal Cardwell

Oct 28, 2014, 6:32:36 PM10/28/14
to Aditya Alurkar, packe...@googlegroups.com
If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like you are running the
client and server packetdrill processes on the same machine, with two
different NICs. This is not the intended model, and I would be
surprised if it works.

I suggest trying to run the client and server processes on different machines.

As for documentation, have you tried reading the Usenix Login article?

http://research.google.com/pubs/pub41848.html

neal