Building packetdrill with DEBUG on

Shivansh Rai

Jul 24, 2017, 10:00:19 AM7/24/17
to packetdrill

I was trying to use the --debug option of packetdrill; although doing so produced an error stating -

error: --debug requires building with DEBUG on.

I looked into Makefile.common and found out that in the compilation step -g option is indeed included.

$(CC) -o packetdrill -g -static $(packetdrill-objs) $(packetdrill-ext-libs)

What is the correct way of compiling packetdrill with DEBUG on ?

Thank you.
Regards,
— Shivansh

Michael Tüxen

Jul 24, 2017, 10:05:45 AM7/24/17
to Shivansh Rai, packetdrill
Add -DDEBUG to the CFLAGS in Makefile.common

Best regards
Michael

> Thank you.
> Regards,
> — Shivansh

Neal Cardwell

Jul 24, 2017, 10:12:05 AM7/24/17
to Michael Tüxen, Shivansh Rai, packetdrill
"On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 10:05 AM, 'Michael Tüxen' via packetdrill
<packe...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>> On 24. Jul 2017, at 16:00, Shivansh Rai <shivan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I was trying to use the --debug option of packetdrill; although doing so produced an error stating -
>>
>> error: --debug requires building with DEBUG on.
>>
>> I looked into Makefile.common and found out that in the compilation step -g option is indeed included.
>>
>> $(CC) -o packetdrill -g -static $(packetdrill-objs) $(packetdrill-ext-libs)
>>
>> What is the correct way of compiling packetdrill with DEBUG on ?
> Add -DDEBUG to the CFLAGS in Makefile.common
>
> Best regards
> Michael

BTW, can you please clarify which version of packetdrill you are
using? It sounds like it might be:

https://github.com/nplab/packetdrill

I ask because that "--debug requires building with DEBUG on" message
is not part of the Google version of packetdrill, which is at:

https://github.com/google/packetdrill

cheers,
neal

Shivansh Rai

Jul 24, 2017, 10:15:21 AM7/24/17
to Neal Cardwell, Michael Tüxen, packetdrill
I apologize for not noticing the difference, yes I'm currently using nplab/packetdrill.
Thanks.
  https://github.com/google/packetdrill

cheers,
neal

Michael Tüxen

Jul 24, 2017, 10:42:13 AM7/24/17
to Neal Cardwell, Shivansh Rai, packetdrill
> On 24. Jul 2017, at 16:11, 'Neal Cardwell' via packetdrill <packe...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> "On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 10:05 AM, 'Michael Tüxen' via packetdrill
> <packe...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>> On 24. Jul 2017, at 16:00, Shivansh Rai <shivan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I was trying to use the --debug option of packetdrill; although doing so produced an error stating -
>>>
>>> error: --debug requires building with DEBUG on.
>>>
>>> I looked into Makefile.common and found out that in the compilation step -g option is indeed included.
>>>
>>> $(CC) -o packetdrill -g -static $(packetdrill-objs) $(packetdrill-ext-libs)
>>>
>>> What is the correct way of compiling packetdrill with DEBUG on ?
>> Add -DDEBUG to the CFLAGS in Makefile.common
>>
>> Best regards
>> Michael
>
> BTW, can you please clarify which version of packetdrill you are
> using? It sounds like it might be:
>
> https://github.com/nplab/packetdrill
It should be this version. We added a way that once you compile in debug support,
you can switch it on/off using a command line argument.

Best regards
Michael