OWF not running with Java 8

wizf...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2015, 12:31:30 PM2/19/15
to ozoneplat...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I am trying to run an instance of OWF with Java 8, but it is not working. I am able to run it with Java 7. The grails version that the OWF is being run on is 2.3.11. Is this supposed to be the case or is there an error that I am making? I'm a bit confused as to why this isn't working, as the OWF site says that it just requires "Java 1.6 or higher".

Thank You!

Ross Pokorny

Feb 19, 2015, 12:41:25 PM2/19/15
to ozoneplat...@googlegroups.com
OWF does not support Java 8. Which version of OWF are you running, and are
you running a pre-compiled bundle or are you trying to build OWF from source?

The most recent publicly released version of OWF is 7.0.1, which runs on
grails 1.3.7. If you are building from source, you will need to use that
version. If you are just running a bundle, you do not need to have any grails
version installed separately, as the bundle includes all of the necessary
grails runtime code.

OWF does not support Java 8 because Grails did not support Java 8 until
version 2.4.x.

Ross Pokorny
OWF Developer

msmo...@g.ucla.edu

Mar 19, 2015, 4:34:13 PM3/19/15
to ozoneplat...@googlegroups.com
Apologies as I have not actually tried this yet, but do you think it would work to build OWF 7.0.1 using a newer version of grails and java 8? (even if it is not technically supported)

Thanks for you time,
-Mark

Ross Pokorny

Mar 19, 2015, 5:04:06 PM3/19/15
to ozoneplat...@googlegroups.com
Almost certainly not. We have done some upgrade work to grails 2.3.x
internally and it required several weeks of effort from a multi-person dev
team.

Ross Pokorny
OZONE Developer

On Thursday, March 19, 2015 01:34:13 PM msmo...@g.ucla.edu wrote:
> Apologies as I have not actually tried this yet, but do you think it would
> work to build OWF 7.0.1 using a newer version of grails and java 8? (even
> if it is not technically supported)
>
> Thanks for you time,
> -Mark
>
> On Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 10:41:25 AM UTC-7, Ross Pokorny wrote:
> > OWF does not support Java 8. Which version of OWF are you running, and
> > are
> > you running a pre-compiled bundle or are you trying to build OWF from
> > source?
> >
> > The most recent publicly released version of OWF is 7.0.1, which runs on
> > grails 1.3.7. If you are building from source, you will need to use that
> > version. If you are just running a bundle, you do not need to have any
> > grails
> > version installed separately, as the bundle includes all of the necessary
> > grails runtime code.
> >
> > OWF does not support Java 8 because Grails did not support Java 8 until
> > version 2.4.x.
> >
> > Ross Pokorny
> > OWF Developer
> >
> > On Thursday, February 19, 2015 09:31:29 AM wizf...@gmail.com <javascript:>

beh...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2015, 6:14:50 PM4/28/15
to ozoneplat...@googlegroups.com
Has there been any traction on this?  Java 7 will be "End of Life" this month (April 2015).  Has a release date been set for a version of OWF built against a version of Grails that works with Java 8?

Andre Flory

Dec 21, 2015, 4:30:47 PM12/21/15
to ozoneplatform-users, beh...@gmail.com