Official Opening of the Tunnerminnerwait and Maulboyheenner Monument

Gary Vines

Sep 10, 2016, 9:13:42 AM9/10/16
to OzArch
The opening of the monument to the two aborigines, Tunnerminnerwait and Maulboyheenner, who were the first people hanged in Port Phillip in 1842, will be held on

Sunday 11 Sept at 14:00–16:00

at the corner of Franklin St and Victoria Pde, Melbourne

and a contemporary account http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article31735061

disclaimer - as a pacifist I don't support the commemoration of even the violent responses to colonial violence

Gary Vines

Sep 14, 2016, 9:38:56 AM9/14/16
to OzArch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=59&v=IBrmJkL7npQ

'Standing by TunnerMinnerwait & Maulbouyheenner' by artists Brook Andrew and Trent Walter - commemorating? first hangings in Melbourne 20/1842, commissioned by the City of Melbourne, located  near RMIT, Old Melbourne Gaol and the City Baths, New York automatic newspaper vending machines, a steel scaffold/swing frame, concrete blocks and native plants - all quite disturbing and I'm not really sure what I think of it.

Mike Hincks

Sep 14, 2016, 6:22:08 PM9/14/16
to oza...@googlegroups.com
I think it is a good response that challenges the viewer to both critical and imaginative thought.The stones and the garden are enough to promote reflection without dictating the emotional direction of the viewer. I think that is its greatest strength and something that is difficult to do with a memorial.

FYI Brook Andrew also did the historical interpretation of the Maquarie-era docks at the MCA, Sydney, which was another interesting and mildly controversial work:

Mike