"This bottle remains the property of..." date range

閲覧: 2,075 回
最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

Andy Orr

未読、
2015/06/24 20:56:482015/06/24
To: oza...@googlegroups.com
"This bottle remains the property of..." is a common mark on beer bottles - I'm guessing from the mid-1900s til at least the 1970s(?).

I came across the following explanation online

-- Beer came in bottles sold at licensed premises either locally or in larger cities visited during shopping expeditions.  Bottles were recycled remaining the property of the manufacturer who paid for their return. People collected bottles to return.

Can anyone enlighten me as to when this practice and and/or the marking of bottles to this effect ended in Victoria?

Cheers,

Andrew Orr
Triskel Heritage Consultants

pat gaynor

未読、
2015/06/24 21:26:332015/06/24
To: oza...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew
I have a 1977 beer bottle marked  'this bottle is the property of the NSW Bottle Co.' .  Not sure if they got to Victoria or what brand of beer was in it, but it was still happening  in NSW then.
Regards
Pat Gaynor

Andy Orr

未読、
2015/06/24 22:47:592015/06/24
To: oza...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Pat,

I haven't seen one likely to date later than 1970s myself. Wondering if anyone else has?

Michael Lever

未読、
2015/06/25 2:38:002015/06/25
To: oza...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy,

I believe Bron Woff completed Honours a year or so ago, and examined the history of bottle-washing plants in Melbourne. These functioned to collect, clean, sort and return bottles to their owners.

I'd suggest that the demise of bottle-washers would be an effective indication of the end of bottle ownership.

I can put you in touch with Bron if you don't have her details.

Cheers

Michael Lever

未読、
2015/06/25 2:55:432015/06/25
To: oza...@googlegroups.com
N.B. A Trove search for the term "Bottle Washing" in Victorian newspapers did not return any results dated after 1956.

There were 1,861 mentions of the term in Victorian newspapers prior to this, including frequent adverts for bottle washing machinery....

Andy Orr

未読、
2015/06/25 20:15:022015/06/25
To: oza...@googlegroups.com

'56 sounds a little early Michael. Maybe it indicates an end to out-sourcing bottle-washing or some other change to the workflow. Yes, do please put me in touch - and...@triskel.com.au

Michael Lever

未読、
2015/06/26 0:23:112015/06/26
To: oza...@googlegroups.com

I think one has to be careful not to confuse two issues Andy.

The branding of bottles with an owner's name seems tied to the business of commercial bottle washing. Once owners ceased stamping bottles and paying for their return in clean whole condition, the demand for commercial bottle washing ceased (circa 1956).

This is quite different to the government-run bottle refund schemes such as currently run in South Australia, and once run in Victoria. Scouts and similar groups in South Australia still raise funds through collection of bottles and their return to government depots.

Once returned, these bottles are sorted and broken for recycling - not for re-use. See the SA Recycle website: http://www.recyclesa.com.au/index.html

Relevant legislation is here http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/sa/consol_act/epa1993284/s65.html

Cheers

Iain Stuart

未読、
2015/06/26 3:13:242015/06/26
To: oza...@googlegroups.com

I don’t thing Andy is confusing the issue at all Michael it is you who need to explain your data of 1956 against the recollections of others that they were involved in bottle drives collecting beer bottles in the early 1970s. South Australian data may not be relevant to the situation in Melbourne and Sydney.

As I recall it was the soft drink bottles that attracted a deposit not the beer bottles which were sold to a “Bottle o” who collected them in bulk. What we need to establish is what the bottleo did with them – were they returned to the breweries or to AGL in Spotswood.

Cheers

Dr Iain Stuart

JCIS Consultants

P.O. Box 2397

Burwood North

NSW 2134

Australia

(02) 97010191

Ia...@jcis.net.au

--

Michael Lever

未読、
2015/06/26 4:04:472015/06/26
To: oza...@googlegroups.com、ia...@jcis.net.au
Ian,

My thinking is as follows:

The question Andy posed  is the date span of proprietory impressions on glass bottles. This is a separate issue to the date span of boy scout recycling drives.

While bottles were predominantly branded and returned to brewers, a thriving bottle-washing industry existed in Melbourne.

I'm proposing that the disappearance of the bottle washing industry is tied to the end of brewery ownership and reuse of bottles.

As there are no references in Victorian newspapers to bottle-washing after 1956 (but some 1,800 prior) I am suggesting the industry was defunct by then.

This does not mean that bottles were not still being collected by bottle-o's or boy scouts. They were - under Victorian legislation which has since been phased out but which appears to have been similar to current South Australian legislation, bottles were redeemed for a small refund, and were then recycled (not reused).

Cheers

Andy Orr

未読、
2015/06/26 4:32:412015/06/26
To: oza...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

I've made the assumption that the phrase "this bottle (always) remains the property of...." indicates that the bottle should be returned for re-use rather than recycling.

Previous comments indicate that collecting for both purposes continued into the 1970s, which would accord with my initial guesstimate. I'm just trying to discern if there was a distinct cut-off date, after which the practice of re-use had ended, and consequently the statement of ownership would have ended (again an assumption).  As you point out, this differs from general recycling of bottle-glass.

On a side note, I've come across a few trove references to the use of this phrase in the 1930s (Reschs Beer), which was earlier than I'd initially guessed.

John Pickard

未読、
2015/06/26 18:54:202015/06/26
To: oza...@googlegroups.com
Good morning all,

Following on from the discussion about “This bottle remains the property of ...” is the related question of WHEN bottles were first sold / advertised as “not for refilling”. Most of us would assume it came about with very thin-walled stubbies. Not being a beer drinker, I don’t know when this occurred, perhaps in the 1980s, but I’m sure that some OzArchers would know.
Q: “When were alcoholic beverage bottles first advertised in Australia as “non-refillable”?

A: Way before stubbies! The earliest I know is an ad for Johnnie Walker in the Pastoral Review (16 June 1916, p. 542).

So there’s a challenge dear to the hearts of archaeologists focussed on league tables of oldest dates for anything. Mine’s older than yours. And no, I’m not offering a bottle of JW as a prize!

There is obviously a serious question about why JW switched to non-refillable bottles. It was in the middle of WW1, and I would have thought that the demand for glass for military and essential civilian uses would have been such that recycling was at an all-time high. But apparently, the officer-class and the rather poncy-looking gambler had other things on their minds. With no data at all, I’d have thought that most JW was still consumed by civilians, so it would be difficult to argue that there was some military-related reason for non-refillable bottles. I doubt that too many JW drinkers on the front-lines would have been too concerned about returning the empty bottles anyway.

BTW: on the subject of “This bottle remains the property of ...”, has anyone ever considered the social history etc. of the tradie’s friend: the milk crates that are all marked as remaining the property of some dairy company. Virtually every tradie has one or two in in the ute, and many / most families have one or two storing things in the garage. The commercially-available “storage cubes” sold by e.g. Bunnings, are crap, and break too easily, so tradies stick with the milk crates.

I was once advised to either study something so rare that everyone gets priapic about it, or study something so common that everyone has ignored it. I doubt that blue milk crates would meet the first criterion, (although some seriously disturbed archaeologist out there may think otherwise), but the millions in unauthorised private “ownership” certainly they satisfy the second.

Cheers, John,
Johnnie Walker ad Pastoral Review 16 June 1916 p542.jpg

Bronwyn Woff

未読、
2015/06/27 4:55:502015/06/27
To: oza...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I complete my honours thesis through LTU in 2014, "Bottle reuse and archaeology: evidenced from the site of a bottle merchants business". HV have a copy if you'd like to check it out.

Although my thesis focused on bottle reuse in early Melbourne, pre-1915, I do have some info on later washing /reuse /recycling of bottles in Victoria.

So first off, these "this bottle remains the property of..." bottles were in circulation from very early on, when two-part bottle moulds were in use, and into the period of automatic bottle machines.

As Victoria didn't have a successful glass bottle factory until the 1872 (Felton and Grimwade), bottles were highly sought after, being that they had to be transported from overseas (UK) or other states and were expensive. Even once Felton and Grimwade set up their factory, it was hard for the company to keep up with demand, until the introduction of the bottle machine to Victoria in c.1911.

As mentioned above, there are records of companies taking others to court over the use of their bottles, but this was a hard trade to regulate or keep track of. Unscrupulous companies sometimes sold counterfeit products off as the real deal in bottles they didn't own. In a bid to get their bottles back companies began charging for their bottles in the price of a product, with the price of the bottle returned to the customer when the bottle was returned. Many articles were published trying to solve "the bottle question" (see the Australian Brewers Journal etc)

Bottles were returned to companies through a variety of avenues: direct to the company, through grocers/other shops that sold that product, through bottle merchants and through bottle-ohs.

As suggested above, there is a distinct difference between bottle reuse, and bottle recycling. As my thesis covered the period of bottle merchants at the site excavated on A'Beckett Street, I didn't specifically answer the question of when bottle reuse ceased in Victoria. But from general information I read whilst researching for my thesis (sorry I can't remember the actual references!) 1950s-1970s seems to be a good guesstimate.

A huge factor in the decline of bottle reuse, leading to an increase in bottle recycling was of course the introduction of the bottle machine c.1911. Bottle washing and reuse also declined when the public and govt. became concerned with health and cleanliness. This timing also seems to be related to location though, as my family members, living in South Gippsland at the time, can remember in the early 1970s returning Marchants and Joe's Cordial Factory (Korumburra) for reuse (not recycling). Recycling, being that the glass was washed, crushed and made into more bottles/other objects also became the norm in the 1950s-1970s.

Particular bottles with "this bottle is not to be reused" etc that spring to mind are poison and kerosene bottles, but I believe this happened earlier than the decline of bottle reuse, more because of people domestically reusing them for food or other beverages and being poisoned etc.

I hope this answers some of your questions. If anyone wants to contact me, me email is bronwy...@outlook.com.au

Cheers,
Bronwyn Woff

john...@ozemail.com.au

未読、
2015/06/27 19:53:182015/06/27
To: oza...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone,

An interesting discussion on bottles that has been running.

Does anyone have any info they can send me on history/archaeology of the area around Penrith glass works?

I imagine was once a major producer of glass bottles but for years now the place has functioned in a lesser capacity.

It is situated on the northern flank of what was once a LAGOON, then an agricultural setting.

However the immediate lagoon and environs became Penrith sewerage works and land south and west was zoned for rather heavy industry.

To the north of it the land along the small creek running north from the lagoon has become a large housing development (a 'Florida Keys' style one focussed on artificially made of enlarged short waterways).

My guess would be that of the hundreds, nay thousands, now living or working in that area, few would be aware that an original Penrith lagoon ever existed there.

Between there and the Nepean River the local archaeological club has dug out a number of cess pits or old wells that became rubbish repositories.    The one I know best yielded, after sieving  and washing, some 10-20 boxes (the size of A4 paper boxes) of fragmented material.   It would be interesting to estimate the amount of glass versus ceramics and metals (but metal was very minor).   I would think the  majority is glass - reflecting on how important glass was to the people of 1800s-1900s.

I don't collect bottles myself but frequently run across people who do.   I was not long ago on the old (dirt) road that runs from near The Sphinx down to Bobin Head, and a man I met there said the he thought the mounds alongside that track (still something of a mystery as to origin) had been "Made by the Army" .. I replied "Naw, the Army [in WWII] was at St Ives Showground, Lane Cover and Middle Harbour valleys, etc., but never known to be here" and together we had a look around these mounds, which are old enough to now have large trees growing from  them.   There are some old beer bottles we saw and he said he'd come back later and collect them all.   He said he home brews beer and prefers to bottle it in genuine old bottles he can find.

Cheers,

John Byrnes

~~~

From: A history of the Melbourne Glass Bottle Works site including its industrial context Spotswood, Victoria. Prepared for Museum Victoria by David Moloney, December 2012