Parammatta Female Factory in the news

Gary Vines

Aug 27, 2015, 1:51:22 AM8/27/15
to OzArch

John Pickard

Aug 27, 2015, 4:59:35 AM8/27/15
to OzArch
Bloody commos interfering the the legitimate desire of developers to make money.

Roll on the Green Bans! A blast from the past. Jack’s back!

It’s only because of Jack Mundey and the BLF that we still have several rather fine old buildings in Sydney. And of course, Kellys Bush in Hunters Hill, where it all started. (We’ll ignore some of the other activities of the BLF.)

The alliance between the silvertails of Hunters Hill and the far-left BLF was strange, but extraordinarily effective. I’ve never read any analysis of the Green Bans (there’s probably a few PhDs and books on them), but there’s no doubt that Jack believed in the principle at stake with Kellys Bush and the old buildings, and he was a charismatic leader who got the rank-and-file of the BLF behind him. They were heady days.

A couple of years ago, the NSW government changed the law to allow local government councillors who are developers to vote on approving their own development applications*.  Apparently the dictionary pages containing “conflict of interest”, “ethics”, and “integrity” are missing at Parliament House. With laws like this, it’s not hard to conclude that the NSW government is bought and paid for by the developers. So it’s really good to hear the the Green Bans are back. We now might get a little more balance. And in 30 years time, people will be thankful that they have some open-space instead of cheek-to-jowl McMansions or endlessly replicated apartment blocks, and that the Female Factory isn’t visually crushed by high-rise apartment blocks metres away.

If ever someone deserved an AO it’s Jack Mundey.

Welcome back Jack!

* In the interests of fairness, I hasten to add that after the deputy mayor of a Sydney council got some intense media attention a week or so ago, the government is now “looking at the current legislation.”

Cheers, John

John Pickard
john.p...@bigpond.com