Australian Archaeology

Iain Stuart

Jul 20, 2016, 9:38:06 PM7/20/16
to Oz Arch

Having finally gotten my Australian Archaeology – has anyone noticed that it is typeset in India, mailed from Singapore and presumably been printed overseas. So much for Australian small business!

Cheers

Dr Iain Stuart

JCIS Consultants

P.O. Box 2397

Burwood North

NSW 2134

Australia

(02) 97010191

Ia...@jcis.net.au

john...@ozemail.com.au

Jul 20, 2016, 9:53:39 PM7/20/16
to oza...@googlegroups.com

Hello Ian,

This is the way the world is going.   It is called (at least in academic circles) neo-liberalism [ abeit actually palaeo liberalism from back in Adam Smith's days ] and it sprang from the famous (ideological if Ronnie was capable of that) love affair between Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher.   Know that and the 'rest is history' as they say.

How it works in practice is promise the people no taxation, in order to get control of the government, in order to then destroy ("downsize") the government from within.   Believe me .. I used to work in the Gov. and saw it all coming in, like osmosis, from the top down.   I worked for Eddie Obeid would you imagine :-)

And Ian Macdonald too  :-)    :-)

They 'rationalised' the museum where I first began working - at The Rocks.   It no longer exists.

Cheers,

Dr John

Jul 21, 2016, 2:54:37 AM7/21/16
to oza...@googlegroups.com

I did note it was posted from Singapore, presumably printed there ? but who kmows.

The whole publication process is in the hands of Taylor and Francis.

What I noticed more was that the previous 4 volumes were 130, 160, 186 and 216 pages – the new publishers first volume was 65 pages, and the second 92 pages.

Which I found disappointing.

Are people not submitting to AA?

Are the publishers not publishing?

Stephen Corsini

“Questions? Always with the questions.”

Iain Stuart

Jul 21, 2016, 5:42:27 PM7/21/16
to Oz Arch

You have a second volume Steve?? It took quite a bit of effort to get AAA and T&F to agree that I was a member so I just got the April one.

They have changed editors, publishers and the publishing cycle so there is bound to be a lag while authors figure it out. I am glad that there is a Historical Archaeological focused article in the April edition as the Editor had previously been very dismissive of historical archaeology so hopefully there will a continuation of AA publishing a broad range of archaeology from Australia.

I found the statements of conflict of interest quite odd – at first I thought it was a T&F thing but it doesn’t appear in other journals. I’d get rid of it as it serves no purpose except to take up space.

Val Attenbrow

Jul 23, 2016, 6:25:59 PM7/23/16
to oza...@googlegroups.com

Iain

The reason for the smaller issues is that producing the last few very large issues just about sent the Association seriously broke.

The statement about ‘conflict of interest’ appears in quite a few overseas journals. I was asked this question in recently submitting an article to Journal of Field Archaeology.

Val

Jul 23, 2016, 11:15:20 PM7/23/16
to Oz Arch

Val,

I think it was Steve raising the issue off papers – I was merely complaining about the export of work overseas.

But in my opinion it wasn’t the issue of the cost of AA – although that was an issue that the AAA Board needed to be on top of, it was that they were promoting student membership at a cost far below break-even so that every new student member was costing them heaps and this was coupled with AAA successfully recruiting new members most of which were students. This was coupled with the aging of the AAA membership meant that the normal membership wasn’t sufficient to fund everything.

All of which points to an AAA Board and membership that needed to pay more attention to the financials rather than taking an idealistic position and giving everyone discounts as a result AA has been sold off to a multinational with no involvement of the membership (in my view it should have been put to a membership vote of all members as it is the core of AAA).

I think the “Conflict of Interest” thing is a bit absurd. How such a conflict is established is a moot point. All academic have to publish to improve their careers so is this a conflict?

Jeannette Hope

Jul 24, 2016, 4:24:38 AM7/24/16
to oza...@googlegroups.com

When I got the email from Taylor and Francis, I thought it was a hoax – addressed to ‘customer’ and referring to ‘your subscription’ (but not to what) so I didn’t open the attachment.  I checked the company on-line and discovered their website gave a different email address to the one on the email I had received.  I was even more suspicious. So I forwarded the email to them and asked if it was genuine.   Unfortunately it was, and I’ve since received a hard copy invoice.

So now I am seriously considering not renewing my subscription to AAA. I’ve been a member from the very start, once edited the journal, and have kept up this membership although I’ve given others away, in the face of declining income and changing interests.

I cannot believe it was not possible to find a local company to print and distribute the journal.  I’ve shepherded a number of books through a local printer in Mildura (two of my own) over the last few years, at a cheap price, including editing and design as well as printing.  One of these was ‘The People of the Paroo’, on the Bonney  photographs.  When I gave a copy to Susan Lawrence in 2011, she showed me her then new book ‘Archaeology of Australia since 1788’, and apologised – she had no copies to give away, because of the price.  The Paroo book was $15 unit price, $25 RRP (print run 1500), her book ca $150. I said that I thought that, allowing for different page numbers/ print runs, it could have been printed for at least a third of that price in Australia – so why had they gone to Springer? Susan said ‘university requirements’ - which I presume means you don’t get the citation brownie points unless you use one of the big monopoly academic publishers.  I recognise that the Springer price also includes global distribution, but with the internet that’s not really an issue any more. (You can still buy The People of the Paroo from the NSW Government book shop on-line, though there are limited copies left).

Is this also a factor in sending AAA overseas? Are their plans for an Indian call centre to handle manuscript submissions and paper editing?

I had better stop before I get onto the ridiculous cost of conferences these days… (do they really have to be at the flashiest and most expensive convention centre in town?)

Jeannette

No virus found in this message.

Eleanor Crosby

Jul 24, 2016, 7:26:48 AM7/24/16
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Back to Valla?

I had better stop before I get onto the ridiculous cost of conferences these days… (do they really have to be at the flashiest and most expensive convention centre in town?)

And yes I have not received my copy of AA yet

Eleanor