Ceramics chart

Angus Crawford

Oct 2, 2017, 3:40:45 AM10/2/17
to OzArch
I was curious to see what people were after for a resource on Australian ceramics? As a pottery person the initial identification of pottery comes down to fabric identification with decoration and form being  used to identify types and tightening up date ranges (that is an over simplification of the resource, but I am trying to keep this brief). The chart posted by Gary lists some old favourites such as Westerwald and Rhenish stonewares but then gets lost in some of the multiple finishes applied to creamwares....... The metropolitan stoneware picture is a bit misleading as this pottery has a red fabric and is from London but I have seen the exact same decoration on an orange fabric that comes from somewhere in the West Midlands, so if you are focusing on the decoration on this chart rather than the fabric as well.... Also missing from the chart is the North Devon non-gravel tempered ware (yes, that is a fabric) as well as Chinese export porcelains.....So as a resource it is a bit limited in my view

So, what is the most important element that people are after? Fabrics? Forms? Decoration? Or all of the above? What would you like to see?

Angus