Trenches built by the White Army and Old Guard in Vic in the 1930s

Visto 591 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

John Pickard

no leída,
23 jul 2015, 20:09:3823/7/15
a OzArch
Good morning all,

I've just finished reading a great paper on Jack Lang (one of my heroes
seeing that he told Otto Niemeyer and the Bank of England to piss off. Pity
that most of our present pollies lack gonads) in the latest edition of
JRAHS:

Lefurgy, G. (2015) "'Thing Australians strive for': Jack Lang's landmark
speech at the Sydney Harbour Bridge" Journal of the Royal Australian
Historical Society 101 (1) pp. 61-78.

On p. 67, Lefurgy says that "Among other activities, these bodies [i.e.
White Army and Old Guard] constructed trench fortifications in rural
Victoria ..." giving the "North West Ouyen Express" 31 March 1931 as the
source.

Although the "Ouyen and North West Express" is listed on Trove, the
digitised version only covers the year 1918, so I can't provide any more
information on location, etc..

My question purely out of curiosity: do any OzArchers know anything about
these trenches? Given the political upheavals of the time, and the very real
threat that these fascist groups posed to elected Labor governments, then
the trenches are potentially very important historical heritage, probably at
national level.

Cheers, John

John Pickard
john.p...@bigpond.com

Jeannette Hope

no leída,
24 jul 2015, 3:38:1924/7/15
a oza...@googlegroups.com
Hi John

I can't help with the specifics of trenches but I do know a bit about the event - I wrote a history assignment (UNE) on the topic in the early 1990s. We had to do an essay on political history, and I chose a quote from Stuart Macintyre's then fairly new history as a starting point.

"On Friday 6 March [1931] a rumour passed around the little wheat town of Ouyen in the Mallee district of Victoria: the communists had seized Sydney and even now their counterparts were advancing on Melbourne from Mildura. This was a remarkably indirect route but as Ouyen lay in its path, the farmers and local businessmen turned out with firearms, dug trenches, laid sandbags and kept watch all through the night. " (Stuart Macintyre 1986 'The Oxford History of Australia The Succeeding Age 1901-1942' pp.264-5).

The significant source for the Ouyen/Wimmera event was Michael Cathcart's book 1988 'Defending the national tuckshop: Australia's secret army intrigue of 1931', based I think on his PhD. He used records recently (then) lodged in the La Trobe Library from a guy in the Wimmera who was supposed to destroy them in the 1930s, but had not done so. Another source, on NSW, was Moore, A. 1989 'The secret army and the premier Conservative paramilitary organisations in New South Wales 1930-1932.'

My essay was not so much about what happened at Ouyen, but the political reasons behind it and modern (ie 1980s) parallels. I started the essay with a couple of my experiences working for NPWS, and concluded with the comment "Both Moore and Cathcart however speculate that they [ie the secret armies] may persist in an underground form, and my personal experience in rural NSW suggests that the underlying fears are still in existence, though the targets these days are more likely to be greenies, Aborigines and government. One might speculate that the same class of people, and possibly even some of the same families, who joined the Old Guard and the White Army in 1931 were involved in rural reaction to Federal and State labour government policies in 1980's."

In fact I asked Ross O'Shea, then Western Lands Commission, while I was writing the assignment, if he thought there were any such groups still around. His answer: of course, we know all about them (we I presume meant the department/government), and proceeded to list several and their localities in WNSW.

Back to the trenches. The white army had been recruiting in the Mallee/Wimmera in early 1931, setting up cells, who were clearly primed to expect the worst (they were vulnerable because of the problems of the soldier settlement schemes in the area, brilliantly describe by Marilyn Lake 1987 'The Limits of hope'). On the strength of the rumours they mobilised, turning out with fire-arms to guard water-towers, wheat silos, weirs and railway stations and sidings against the invasion or uprising.

I can't put my hands on Cathcart's book right now (I'm packing in advance of moving house), but I do remember they staked out Catholic churches (not sure whether to protect them, or because they were seen as potential communist fellow-travellers). When it became clear pretty quickly that there was no imminent invasion, they demobilised, but the organisers forgot to tell a couple of men sent to stake out the Manangatang railway siding, who held the fort there for 48 hours (assuming my memory is accurate!) Of course this does beg the question of the reaction of the Manangatang locals to a couple of guys digging trenches with rifles over their shoulders: 'what are you up to mate?', 'oh the commies are about to invade Manangatang, we're getting ready to defend you!'. 'Gees, mate, they're welcome to it.' (And this is an opportunity to mention a souvenir ash-tray available in Manang in the 1960s: embossed 'PARIS ROME MANANATANG'.)

Anyway, there may be specific details in Cathcart's book, or in his sources, about location of stake-outs and earthworks.

If I locate my copy soon I'll check it out and let you know.

Regards

Jeannette

-----
No virus found in this message.

ryan harricks

no leída,
24 jul 2015, 20:20:0124/7/15
a oza...@googlegroups.com
I cant help you (sorry), but this sounds fascniating!

> From: john.p...@bigpond.com
> To: oza...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: {OzArch} Trenches built by the White Army and Old Guard in Vic in the 1930s

Jeannette Hope

no leída,
24 jul 2015, 23:27:0524/7/15
a oza...@googlegroups.com
Well, never trust your memory! The forgotten men were not guarding Manangatang railway but Wedderburn water supply! For those unfamiliar with the geography, Ouyen is 100k south of Mildura, Manang 50 k east of Ouyen, and Wedderburn, 165k south again, closer to Bendigo.

Here is Cathcart's comment:

...two old men .. spent Friday night up a gum tree waiting for Catholics and Bolsheviks to do dastardly deeds to Wedderburn's water supply. Well, my informant, Alan, remembers that around three a.m. the men guarding the main street began to feel a bit silly. It had become obvious that the Bolsheviks were not going to materialise, says Alan, 'and we all went back to one of the houses for a drink. We forgot all about the two blokes out at the reservoir - and it was lunchtime the following day before they made it back to town!'

Also, Catholics were not allowed to join the White Army (unless they were 'reliable men'); many members were masons. The suspicion of Catholics was no doubt due to the long-standing Catholic-Protestant divide in Australia, but of course the Irish rebellion would have been fresh in people's minds.

Here are the towns where Cathcart considers there is evidence of mobilisation that night: Ouyen, Birchip, St Arnaud, Mt Jeffcott, Wycheproof, Yatpool, Donald, Wedderburn, Korong Vale, Charlton, Horsham, Dimboola, Boort, Inglewood and Ecklin South. Possibly also Bendigo, Maryborough, Ballarat, Avoca and Geelong. (I have no idea why my memory added Manangatang to this list!)

As for the trenches, while these towns suggest many possibilities, it was just one night, so not a lot of time for substantial trenches to be dug that might leave archaeological traces.

Skimming through the book this morning. I was reminded that Cathcart did a lot of oral history, and how readable the book is. Also, how little has changed... the paranoia described in the book is still with us, now directed towards 'illegal refugees' and islamists. It should be required reading for everyone. (I'd also recommend David Greason's 'I was a Teenage Fascist', 1994).

As noted before, I got interested in this because of experiences while working in NSW NPWS, but I was also aware of the Australian League of Rights anti-Aboriginal activities in Mildura, see https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1300&dat=19840802&id=pGxVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RZUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6169,761288&hl=en. Why were they agitating against Aboriginal Land rights in Mildura in 1984? Well, that was the year the NSW Land Right Act was passed, and ALOR aimed at stirring paranoia just across the border to block anything similar in Victoria.

john...@ozemail.com.au

no leída,
24 jul 2015, 23:45:5524/7/15
a oza...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

They never called it the White Army that I can remember out Cobar way,

There was a stronghold of it about 10 km out on one of the roads leading west from Cobar.

They supposedly had guns buried in black plastic bags in plastic garbage bins awaiting the day they'd have to dig them up to march on Canberra (which was regarded as a nest of traitors).

But everyone out that way called it the KANGAROO ARMY.

It was totally secretive except for the fact that you'd get told by people that certain property owner were of this or that rank in the Kangaroo Army.

None around Cobar really ranked high .. and the top men in it were said to live at or around Dubbo.

The Kangaroo Army was also  said to be almost as strong at Broken Hill as it was near Cobar ..  does that tally with things others have heard?

I had actually never once heard before that they didn't like Catholics.

It was well known that they didn't like public servants ("Government men") .. and also well known that they did not like trespassers.    They were said to put up thin invisible wire across tracks which if hit at speed .. especially by a motorbike rider .. might do a great deal of damage.   However I never heard it alleged that any real violence had ever occurred at these places.

The only men I have ever spoken too who were said to belong to the Kangaroo Army were quite friendly.

In fact they would invite us in for tea and cake .. but after a while as they told us more and more of the evils of the Government, and how it was all part of a giant world conspiracy to enslave everyone, perhaps run by the United Nations (I now forget exactly what was said) we would start to feel a little uneasy .. and sometimes become anxious to 'escape' from out cup of tea and homemade cake.

We tried to keep on being friends by assuring them that if we found any gold on their property we would tell them first.

There was little chance of that since most of the gold around Cobar is sub-microscopic.

Cheers,

John