Fwd: Can anyone help identify this object?

Guadalupe Cincunegui

Sep 29, 2017, 1:59:36 AM9/29/17
to oza...@googlegroups.com

Good afternoon,

I am looking to see if anyone can help id the object in the attached images.

It is approximately 80mm in diameter and weighs over 2 kgs. It has a seam through the middle (2 part mold?). I have been told the 3 dimples were created by the machine that unearthed it.

I know what I "think" it looks like - but thought someone might have a clearer idea.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Guadalupe

20170927_152755.jpg
20170927_152908_001.jpg

Michael Lever

Sep 29, 2017, 6:14:01 PM9/29/17
to OzArch
If you are thinking what I'm thinking...Id say a ~3.25 inch cannon ball similar to these :
https://goo.gl/images/G2sJFL
Cheers

john...@ozemail.com.au

Sep 29, 2017, 6:41:41 PM9/29/17
to oza...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I was thinking cannon ball too.

Did you knows that when they were digging to first make a Library at Hornsby they came upon an entire buried field piece .. it got sent to Victoria Barracks for expert restoration, and I think is still there (at VB).

Cheers, John

Oct 3, 2017, 12:52:43 AM10/3/17
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone. For some reason, I am not receiving any replies through OzArch (although I did receive an email saying my request to post was denied by the moderator)...but I have friends forwarding on everyone's comments.

Thank you everyone!

I agree that it looks like a shot-put/cannon ball.

Rhys Booth

Oct 21, 2017, 10:50:35 PM10/21/17
to OzArch
Looks like a 3-4 Pounder solid shot, it's definitely made the same way (two hemisphere sand mold of cast iron). Not sure about the grooves, could have been played with after being fired, from what I can see it does look like it has been fired.
Are there any flat surfaces?
Also, where was it found? If near any major historical settlements (Hobart, Queenscliff, Sydney etc) it's almost certainly a practice round. As for time, you could be looking at anything from 1840-1890, I the Victorian colonial artillery forces used 4 pounder artillery pieces for quite some time.

Hope it helps, link below for further I.D

Andy Orr

Oct 25, 2017, 12:04:47 AM10/25/17
to OzArch
You probably have most of the info you need but another useful link here:

cheers,

Andy

Guadalupe Cincunegui

Nov 1, 2017, 8:39:33 AM11/1/17
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! Always happy to have more info.

Guadalupe Cincunegui

Nov 1, 2017, 8:42:12 AM11/1/17
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for sending this through- for some reason I haven’t been receding all the responses. Object was embedded in an old tree in the Adelaide parklands! All very mysterious!

Thank you!

Rhondda Harris

Nov 1, 2017, 10:22:30 PM11/1/17
to oza...@googlegroups.com
South Parklands was a rifle range. Also ditches and muzzleloader set-up in Kintore Ave / University area early on and various powder magazines in Parklands on old maps. Great find Guadalupe, contact me off-list if you want.
Rhondda Harris

GrahamK

Nov 1, 2017, 11:03:22 PM11/1/17
to OzArch
Excellent find Guadalupe. Got to be worth a paper in the ASHA journal.