Cryptic surveying instrument

Michael Lever

Aug 30, 2015, 7:48:04 PM8/30/15
to OzArch
At the risk of displaying what may be my gormless ignorance,

Can anyone explain the markings on the sight staff, that J. Mulvaney is holding in the attached image?

The image is dated to 1966, and is from:

Mulvaney, J. 1990: Prehistory and heritage : the writings of John Mulvaney. Dept. of Prehistory, Research School of Pacific Studies, Australian National University, Occasional Papers in Prehistory. 17.

Cheers,

Michael
P_20150830_142706.jpg

John Pickard

Aug 30, 2015, 8:15:29 PM8/30/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com
I’ve never seen one Michael, but there are major divisions (1, 2, 3, ..) which appear to be feet; subdivided by a series of alphas and numerics: 1 T V 7 N referring to divisions at 0.1, 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, and 0.9 feet respectively.

It appears to have been made in sections with the lower section ending  at about 3.4, between the buckets. The overlapping join suggests that the sections swivelled on bolts so the sections were one behind the other when folded for carrying.

As I said, never seen one. I wonder if it was home-made on-site because he’d forgotten the real staff? Use of the mixed characters for the subdivision is a nice way of avoiding errors when reading. Using decimal feet is also pretty smart for reducing errors. Whoever made it (Mulvaney or a manufacturer), they came up with a very elegant solution.

Is it still extant?

Cheers, John

John Pickard
john.p...@bigpond.com

tessa corkill

Aug 30, 2015, 8:24:59 PM8/30/15
to Ozarch
Fascinating! A search in Google resulted in numerous incomprehensible sites, mainly Greek or Biblical; eg:

Grammatica graeca sacra Novi Testamenti

'JEtuíibVí9b» j ¡7vm&-»t j iTV7n<&M. Pluralis. 'ir viró fíente , {'таятсЭ-f 3 «тиэт»^. Formatur ab Aorifto fecundo Activ. mutatô •» Singularis. Tú-^tfiofverberabo ..

Make of them what you will!

Tessa C

Richard Wright

Aug 30, 2015, 8:33:43 PM8/30/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Michael

The staff is scaled in decimal feet.

The smaller characters represent:

1: one
T: three
V: five
7: seven
N: nine

You are not gormless, but alas I am old enough to have used such a staff.

Richard

At 09:48 AM 31/08/2015, you wrote:
At the risk of displaying what may be my gormless ignorance,

Can anyone explain the markings on the sight staff, that J. Mulvaney is holding in the attached image?

The image is dated to 1966, and is from:

Mulvaney, J. 1990: Prehistory and heritage : the writings of John Mulvaney. Dept. of Prehistory, Research School of Pacific Studies, Australian National University, Occasional Papers in Prehistory. 17.

Cheers,

Michael

Richard Wright
72 Campbell Street
Balmain
NSW 2041
Australia

Phone: +61 2 98181037

Alternative email address: ric...@cranid.com

Avast logo

Peter Marquis-Kyle

Aug 30, 2015, 8:55:05 PM8/30/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Just to add to John Pickard's observations, I notice that each of the
letters is drawn with a height of 0.1 feet so that, for example, the top
of the V indicates x.5 feet, and the bottom of the V indicates x.4 feet.

Of course, most dumpy levels read upside-down in those days, so what
looked like the 'top' was actually the 'bottom'...

--

Peter Marquis-Kyle

den...@tpg.com.au

Aug 30, 2015, 9:19:08 PM8/30/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Older cheap dumpy levels, telescopic alidades etc often did not have a correcting lens, which meant that your image was seen upside down, rather than normal.

The lettering reduces the chance of a mis-read if the image is upside down - 6 and 9, 2 and 5.  It probably does that better than the modern 'piano-key' staff arrangement would in that way.

My impression is that decimal feet were bigger in US survey practice than in the UK.  Certainly all of the classic 1930s Works Administration dig reports report in decimal feet.

Denis

Sep 3, 2015, 4:11:11 AM9/3/15
to oza...@googlegroups.com
John Mulvaney has advised that the staff belonged to Dermot Casey who probably used it at Verulanium in the 1930s (Wheeler's excavations).

Richard Morrison